Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-5-12
Local: Looking back at action at the Laurens County Speedway last Saturday night:
- Hobby Division: Dan Lawson took advantage of problems by other racers to finish 1st in the main event.. Ricky Dale Phillips finished 2nd and Mart Patterson 3rd.
- Super Late Model: Dino Long never trailed as he picked up his 1st win of the season.. Billy Rushton fought hard but finished 2nd and Frankie Coates 3rd.
- Limited: David Taylor crossed the finish line first.. Kris Norwood and Brad Rachels were the next 2 to cross behind him.
- Super Stock 4: Cory Winn won for the 4th time this season.. Michael Simmons and Scott Nelson rounded out the top 3.
- Front-Wheel Drive: Jonathan Sarratt took his 2nd consecutive win.. Dustin Sloan was 2nd and Casey Lawson 3rd.
- The Braves and Cubs went at it again last night down in Atlanta and the only thing the local fans could cheer was the fireworks after the game as the Cubs took a 5-1 win.. All-star candidate Michael Born did give the fans something to cheer about as he went 3-4 lacking only a homerun in his attempt to hit for the cycle.. Chipper Jones also went 2-4 pushing his hitting streak to 11 games.. A reminder that today is the last day to go to mlb.com if you want to vote to get Bourn onto the all-star team… The Braves & the Cubs finish their current series in Atlanta tonight.
- The Greenville Drive fans were in much the same predicament as the Braves fans as they too could only really cheer about the fireworks as the Drive lost to the Rome Braves by a score of 13-6 up at Flour Field last night.. The baby Braves had 14 hits (3 of which were homeruns) to the Drives’ 11 and even committed 3 errors but the Drive just continue not getting the big hit when needed.. The same 2 teams will face-off again tonight in Greenville
- If you go to panthers.com you will find a posting by the Carolina Panthers about their upcoming training camp up at Wofford which starts July 27th.. If my memory is correct, that is the day football practice will start at the local high schools also.. Yep it’s not that long before footballs will start to fly about in earnest.
This & That:
- The CHS Athletic Department wants me to inform you that on 7-26-12 at 6pm there will be a meeting in the CHS auditorium concerning all the fall sports (cross-country, football, girls’ tennis and volleyball). If you are a parent of a student who plans to participate in one of these sports are asked to come to this meeting.. There you will be able to meet the coaches, learn about athletic expectations, insurance, academic requirements and learn about the NCAA eligibility Center.. Please mark your calendars and plan on attending.
And finally, its only 50 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.