Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-10-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics. Only 53 days until the 2012 football season kicks off on September 1st when they host Brevard… Have you ordered your season tickets?… Reserved seats are $50 and reserved bench seats are $40 and both include the Furman game!.. Call 864-833-8240 now to order
- The Braves were off last night as there is a 4 day break for the MLB All-Star game tonight out in Kansas City.. The Braves placed 4 players on the N.L. roster.. Second baseman Dan Uggla and pitcher Craig Kimbrel were selected in the original selection process and Uggla will get the start at 2nd base.. This is Uggla’s 3rd appearance at the all-star game and his 1st start.. Kimbrel will be making his 2nd appearance.. Also named to the roster by N.L. head coach Tony La Rusa are Chipper Jones and Michael Bourn who were named to replace injured players who had to back-out of the game.. This will be Jones 8th and final trip to the all-star game as he is retiring at the end of the season… For Bourn, it will be his 2nd.. The game can be seen tonight on Fox starting at 7:30.
- Prince Fielder of the Detroit Tigers won the homerun derby last night becoming only the 2nd player to win the event more than once.. Ken Griffey Jr. is the other.. He becomes the 1st player to win it while representing each of the major leagues.. He did in 2009 while a member of the St. Louis Cardinals.
- The Grenville Drive had the night of last night and will start a week-long road trip tonight with the 1st stop in Augusta, Ga. taking on the Green Jackets.
- Scott Hornish Jr. will be back in car # 22 again this coming weekend at New Hampshire while the Penske Racing Team awaits the fate of regular driver AJ Allmendinger who was suspended last week for a positive drug test.. Allmendinger has requested that a that his alternate blood sample taken at the same time also be tested… If that test also proves positive, he faces indefinite suspension and possible further medical examination or treatment.
This & That:
- The CHS Athletic Department wants me to inform you that on 7-26-12 at 6pm there will be a meeting in the CHS auditorium concerning all the fall sports (cross country, football, girls’ tennis and volleyball). If you are a parent of a student who plans to participate in one of these sports are asked to come to this meeting.. There you will be able to meet the coaches, learn about athletic expectations, insurance, academic requirements and learn about the NCAA eligibility Center.. Please mark your calendars and plan on attending
- The Laurens YMCA will be holding a Wrestling Camp Tues. – Thur. next week and it is open to youth ages 5-13.. Deadline for registration is fast approaching… Go by the Y to register or call 984-2621 if you have questions or for more information.
- Today at 5pm there is supposed to be a 7 on 7 competition at LDHS.. Understand a couple of teams have pulled out and the weather forecast calls for showers… Hope they will be able to get it in.. Come out if you can and see some footballs flying around.
And finally, its only 45 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.