Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-12-12
- Last night long time high school sports official Mr. Truman Owens was inducted into National Federation of State High School Associations Hall of Fame.. Mr. Truman as we all call him becomes a member of the Hall of fame that his late brother Mr. Sam Owens was inducted into back in 1999.. It is a tribute well deserved as many officials, coaches and administrators will tell you is well deserved.. Next week I hope to have an interview with Mr. Truman about his induction and career.. My plans are to post it online at wlbg.com.. I’ll have more information about that the middle of next week.. Congratulations Mr. Truman, from a former official who you had a great impact on.
Braves: The Braves continue to be on the break for the all-star game and will not return t action until tomorrow night… Just a couple of quick notes on the Braves:
- Rookie shortstop Andrelton Simmons will be out for a while as he has a cast on his right hand where he fractured his pinkie finger sliding into 2nd on a hustle play last Sunday.
- The Braves also announced that retiring 3rd baseman Chipper Jones will be honored in a pregame ceremony on Friday Sept. 28th.. Bet tickets for that game will now go fast as the Braves honor their future Hall-of Fame player.
- For the 2nd night in a row, the Greenville Drive lost to the Augusta Green Jackets down in August.. The Drive tied the game at 2 all in the top of the 8th but then gave up 2 in the bottom of the 8th as they lost 4-2.. They continue their series in Augusta tonight.
- Suspended NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger’s spokesman now says that he was suspended when he tested positive for a stimulant… Allmendinger released a statement that in part said”Obviously I would never do anything to jeopardize my opportunity here at Penske Racing or to my fellow drivers. I am very conscious about my training and health and would never knowingly take a prohibited drug.” The release also stated that he is gathering up all his medicines, and supplements to see if an over-the-counter product caused the positive test.
This & That:
- The Bell Federation of the Blind is sponsoring a benefit golf tournament at Lakeside Country Club 1 week from today.. Money raised will help the charity cover expenses associated with their work.. The cost is $40 per person.. If you are interested in getting up a four-player team, the deadline for entry is Monday and you need to call the Bell Federation at 984-4714 or lakeside Country Club at 682-3614
- The Laurens Athletic Booster Club has started sale of Century Club memberships.. Cost is $150 and gets you 2 reserved seats at all Raider regular season football games, a reserved parking space for football and 2 all-sports passes for all other regular season Raider athletic events.. Call Jim Iacuone at 984-3568 or 871-3495 to order or for more information.
- Also an advance notice to Red Devil football fans that season football tickets and parking passes will start July 24th at CHS… I have more information about this and the Laurens Century Club membership on postings at wlbg.com in the Between the Lines section under sports.
And finally, its only 43 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.