Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-17-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics. Only 46 days until the 2012 football season kicks off on September 1st when they host Brevard… Have you ordered your season tickets?… Reserved seats are $50 and reserved bench seats are $40 and both include the Furman game!.. Call 864-833-8240 now to order
Local: Catching up on a couple of LDHS alumni:
- Adam Taylor Jr. continues to do well this summer as he is batting .333 for the Niagara Power team.. Adam also made the 2012 New York Collegiate Baseball League All Star game.. He also participated in the Home Run Derby before the game.. Believe he drew a blank in that but went 2-2 in the game.
- Also congratulations to former LDHS softball 3rd baseman Ali Rogers foe winning the Miss South Carolina Title last Saturday night.. I know that this is not exactly sports but she did mention some old softball scars she has during a press conference last Sunday morning.
- The Braves were off last night and will start a 3 game series with the San Francisco Giants tonight down at the Ted before they go on the for a week or so.. By the way, the Braves are now 49-39 on the season and trail the Washington Nationals in the N.L. East by only 2.5 games.
- Yesterday I just did not have time to bring you up to speed on the Greenville Drive so let’s play catch up right now… The Drive did not have a great weekend.. On Friday night they finished a series with the Augusta Green Jackets down in Ga. with a 3-1 loss.. They then drove to the coast to start a series with the Charleston RiverDogs.. . Saturday they took a 9-6 win but then dropped Sunday’s game by a score of 11-5.. Last night the Drive rebounded as they won 3-2.. The Drive scored the winning run in the top of the 9th with 2 out.. The Drive finish the series in Charleston today.
- NASCAR has joined with other major sports leagues in sending an open letter to the Speaker of the House in an attempt to table an amendment that would restrict branches of the military from using sports sponsorships as a recruitment tool.. NASCAR, the NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball and the Indy Car Series urged the Speaker show “continued opposition” to the Kingston-McCollum amendment to the $608 billion 2013 Dept. of Defense appropriations bill currently before Congress. Introduced by Reps. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.) and Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), the amendment would bar the military from using funds for sponsorships in professional or semi-pro sports… A vote on the appropriations bill is scheduled for Wednesday, according to the weekly legislative calendar of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.).
This & That:
- Couple of advance notices for you.. First, on Monday July 23rd the Clinton High School Athletic Booster Club will meet at 6 pm.. The meeting will be at the Booster Club Building just inside the front gate at the football stadium on the campus of the old CHS.. Please mark your calendar and plan to attend this important meeting.
- Then the Laurens Athletic Booster Club will have their 1st meeting of the new school year on Monday July 30th at the Joe Adair Center at 7 pm.. New members are invited to attend.. Planning for the new school year will take place and new members could bring fresh ideas.
- And glad I get to keep my house.. As you may remember, I said I’d bet my house that Chad Holbrook would be named the new head baseball coach at S.C. yesterday.. He was.
And finally, its only 38 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.