Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-18-12
- The Braves winning streak was stopped last night as they lost to the Giants 9-0 in Atlanta.. The Giants led 2-0 going into the 4th inning when they put 6 on the board and the Braves were never able to generate any runs as 3 Giant pitchers held them to just 5 hits… Game 2 of the 3 game series will be tonight at the Ted.
- The Greenville Drive lost down in Charleston last night to the RiverDogs by a score of 5-0.. Greenville was held to just 4 hits on the night as Charleston got their 5 runs on 10 hits.. The Drive have the night off and will return to action tomorrow night up at Flour Field as they host Lexington in a 4 game series.
- Let’s take a look at the Sprint Cup point standings after last weekend’s race.. The top 4 drivers remain the same as last week.. Matt Kenseth continues to lead the pack with 707 points.. Dale Earnhart Jr. trails him by 16 points, Gregg Biffle trails by 40, and Jimmie Johnson trails Kenseth by 51 points… Moving up 2 spots to take the 5th place position is Denny Hamlin 79 points behind the leader Kenseth.
This & That:
- The CHS Athletic Department wants me to inform you that on 7-26-12 at 6pm there will be a meeting in the CHS auditorium concerning all the fall sports (cross country, football, girls’ tennis and volleyball). If you are a parent of a student who plans to participate in one of these sports are asked to come to this meeting.. There you will be able to meet the coaches, learn about athletic expectations, insurance, academic requirements and learn about the NCAA eligibility Center.. Please mark your calendars and plan on attending
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation will be offering two sports camps over the next 2 weeks. Basketball Camp will take place July 23-26 at Laurens High School. Times will be 9am-12pm daily. Ages are 9-12 and the cost is only $25. Each camper will receive a camp t-shirt with participation. Football camp will take place July 30-Aug. 2 at the Laurens City Park football field. Times will be 6:30-8:30 daily and is open for ages 7-12. Cost for football camp is $25 and all campers will receive a t-shirt. Registration is held daily at the Little River Park in Laurens from 9am-7pm and on Sundays from 1-7pm. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- Well you can tell the football season is getting closer as the SEC started its annual media days yesterday and Coach Steve Spurrier was the 1st coach to take the podium.. As usual, Spurrier was good for several quotes which I don’t have time to go into here.. He quipped about things like how he would the football championship at the end of the year, to the Penn State situation as well as about his team… I have a link on today’s sports report at wlbg.com to a pdf document with the text of many of his remarks yesterday.. Click on following link for Spurrier’s comments. spurrier_at_sec_media_day-7-17-12
And finally, its only 37 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.