Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-23-12
- From CHS, rising junior O’Kevius Conway made a verbal commitment to play baseball at the University of south Carolina last week when he talked with new head coach Chad Holbrook.. When I contacted O’Kevius he was not sure if he would play infield or outfield.. Other schools such as UNC, Citadel, PC, College of Charleston, Virginia & Virginia Tech have all shown interest in him.
- Also a note from CHS, the Athletic Booster Club will meet tonight at 6:00pm in the Booster Club Building just inside the front gate at the football stadium.. This would be a good time to join and get in on the ground floor as they plan for the new school year.
Braves: The Braves were up in Washington DC taking on the NL East leading Nationals this weekend in a 4 game series..
- On Friday night the Braves did something they had not done since June of 1987.. They were down 9-0 going into the 6th inning and came back to win 11-10 in 11 innings.
- On Saturday the 2 teams played a doubleheader.. In the afternoon game, the Braves won again by a score of 4-0.. The old man Chipper Jones had a 2 run homer coming off the bench in the 9th to ice the win.
- In the nightcap, the Nationals turned the tables and took a 5-2 win over the Braves.. The Braves led 2-0 early but could not hold the lead.
- Yesterday the Nationals earned a split of the 4 game series as they took a 9-2 win over the Bravos.. Martin Prado, Jason Heyward and Chipper Jones all went 2 for 4 but the Braves pitching staff just gave up too many hits and runs.. The Nationals now lead the Braves by 3.5 games in the NL East.. The Braves remain on the road as they start a series in Florida against the Marlins.
- The Grenville Drive completed their short 4 game home stand with the Lexington Legends and were only able to win the first one on Thursday night 11-10.. On Friday they lost 7-4, on Saturday 7-5 and yesterday the loss was by a score of 13-7. The Drive now go on a week long road trip with their 1st stop up in Ashville tonight to start a 4 game series with the Tourist.
- The Sprint Cup Series was off this weekend but the Nationwide series did race up in Chicago and Elliot Saddler took the win… Rounding out the top 5 were Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Justin Allgaier, Kenny Wallace & Michael Annett.
This & That:
- On a somber note, former University of South Carolina head football Coach Jim Carlen passed away yesterday at the age of 79.. He coached the Gamecocks from 1975-1981 and had a 46-36-1 record there.. He was also the A.D. in 1981.. He also served as head coach at West Virginia & Texas Tech… His overall record as a head coach was 107-69-6.. Links to articles about Carlen: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-college-football-coach-jim-213521349–ncaaf.html also http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072212aaa.html
On this date in sports, the Cincinnati Baseball club was formed.. at that time it was called the Red Stockings
And finally, its only 32 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.