Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-24-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics. Only 39 days until the 2012 football season kicks off on September 1st when they host Brevard… Have you ordered your season tickets?… Reserved seats are $50 and reserved bench seats are $40 and both include the Furman game!.. Call 864-833-8240 now to order
- Season tickets for home football games go on sale today at CHS.. You need to see Kathy Schumpert in the business office.. Call 938-1844 for more information.
- Also remember that Century Club memberships are on sale for LDHS.. The package includes more than reserved tickets for home football games.. Contact Jim Iacuone at 984-3568 for more info.
- The Braves started a series down in Florida against the Marlins last night and it was a slow start at the first as the Braves trailed 2-0 going into the top of the 9th.. The Braves did manage to get 1 run on a 2 out RBI single by Chipper Jones following a controversial out on the back end of a double play to make the final score 2-1.. Braves and Marlins play again tonight
- One other Brave note, a report on the Braves website says that they have reached an agreement with the Chicago Cubs to get the Ryan Dempster the leagues leader in ERA with one at 2.15 in 15 starts this season and currently in a streak of 33 innings without allowing a score… It would be a great addition to the Braves rotation down the stretch but 2 small problems… One: Dempster must approve the trade and 2: the Cubs manager Dale Sveum says it’s not a done deal.. I guess time will tell.
- The Greenville drive also started a road trip tonight but they went north to Ashville and did better than the Braves as they defeated the Tourist 5-0.. Drive led 1-0 going into the 9th when they added 4 insurance runs.. The series between the 2 teams continues tonight in Ashville.
- Well the big news in college football was the penalties handed out by the NCAA against Penn state in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal.. While they did not give Penn State the “death sentence” they sure came close.. The penalties included: 60 million dollar fine (about the revenue the football program brings in a year), 4-year ban from postseason play, reduction of scholarships it can offer (from 25-15), and negating all Penn State wins from 1998-2011 (111 of them)… In addition to that, the Big Ten announced that any bowl revenue Penn State would have received the next 4 years (a reported $13 million) will be donated to charity focusing on preventing child abuse… Current players and recruits will be allowed to transfer to another program without penalty if they wish.. First-year coach Bill O’Brien is now faced with the task of holding the team together without being able to offer much in the form of post-season action.. Personally, I think all those guilty of not taking action to stop Sandusky should be punished because what he did was reprehensible.. My only question is are you punishing past & present players for something they had no knowledge or control over when you take away their wins on the field?
- I’ll turn our attention more toward college football starting tomorrow,
On This Day In sports: Barry Bonds the retired outfielder of the Pirates and Giants was born in 1964.. He is a 3 time MVP winner an hold s the career homerun record with 762
And finally, its only 30 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470