Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-25-12
- The Braves evened the series with the Marlins and broke a 3 game losing streak last night as they defeated the “fish” 4-3 in Miami.. Tim Hudson gave up 3 runs in the 1st 2 innings off 5 hits then settled down pitching 5 scoreless innings as the Braves came back to take the win.. Jason Heyward had the game winning single in the 7th inning and another RBI earlier in the game…Martin Prado and Freddie Freeman each had an RBI.. The Braves and Marlins complete their current series today with a noon game.
- The Greenville Drive jumped out to a 3-0 lead after 3½ innings last night but the Ashville Tourist put 4 on the board in the bottom of the 4th and went on to take a 16-3 win over the Drive up in Ashville last night… The Drive pitching staff gave up 2 homeruns in the 4th and then 3 more in the rest of the game… The same 2 teams will play in Ashville.
College Football: For those of you who missed it, let’s take a look at where the state’s 2 big schools were picked to finish in their respective conferences:
- First in the ACC, Clemson was picked to finish 2nd in the Atlantic Division behind Florida State according to the ACC media poll earlier this week.. In the Coastal Division, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech were picked to be 1st & 2nd in that order.. Florida state for the 2nd year in a row was picked to win the conference title.. Let’s hope the Tigers can prove them wrong.
- Meanwhile last week at the SEC preseason meeting in Alabama, South Carolina was picked to finish 2nd behind Georgia in the Eastern Division while in the western Division, LSU was picked to finish 1st and Alabama 2nd… LSU was picked by the SEC media to finish the season as the conference champ.
This & That:
- I want to remind you that tomorrow the CHS Athletic Department is holding an important meeting for parents of student athletes who will be participating in any of the fall sports…The meeting will be at 6pm there in the CHS auditorium.. If you son or daughter is participating in cross country, football, girls’ tennis or volleyball you are highly encouraged to attend.. At the meeting you will be able to meet the coaches, learn about athletic expectations, insurance, academic requirements and learn about the NCAA eligibility Center.. Please plan on attending this meeting.
- A note from LDHS, the Laurens Athletic Booster Club will hold their 1st meeting for the new school year next Monday July 30th at 7:00 pm at the Joe Adair Outdoor Education Center.. This is not only a reminder for you who are already members but also an invitation for those of you who have never attended to come and join the boosters as they start planning their support efforts for Raider Athletics.. Your new ideas and help could make a big difference.
And finally, its only 29 days until the start of high school football season on August 24th when Laurens host BHP and Clinton host Gaffney.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.