Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-10-12
Let’s start with a review of local of local high school action last Friday night:
- 96 scored 14 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to defeat Ware Shoals by a score of 30-13. A couple of turnovers hurt the Hornets late.
- Woodruff picked up their 1st win of the season as they defeated Chesnee 38-36.. Woodruff travels to Laurens this week in a game that will honor the newest members of the LDHS Athletic Hall Of Fame.
- Byrnes came back to defeat Northwestern 32-28.. The Red Devils now have the opportunity to go into Duncan this Friday night and knock of the high flying Rebels.
- Of course the big game in Laurens County took place over at Wilder Stadium as the Raiders and the Red Devils got together for the County Championship.. When the game ended, Laurens claimed a 46-16 win over Clinton.. After less than 100 yards of total offense against Spartanburg the week before, it quickly became evident that Coach Greg Lawson had placed a few new wrinkles in the play book.. The biggest one was the movement of Quinn “Biggie” Suber to the quarterback position… After the game, Coach Lawson stated he did that to give more options to the running attack… Suber responded with 200 yards rushing on the night to lead all rushers and with touchdown runs of 52 yards and 69 yards… Lavardick Glenn led Clinton rushers with 138 yards and one TD… Laurens wound up with 349 yards of total offense to Clinton’s 223… The Red Devils uncharacteristically fumbled four times, all of which led to Raider points… See my posting at WLB.com. For complete statistics on the game and for more details go to www.LDHSsports.com or www.CHSathletics.com…
Now recap of college scores involving state teams over the weekend:
- Bethune Cookman defeated South Carolina State 27-14.
- The Citadel defeated Georgia Southern 23 – 21
- Wofford trounced Lincoln University by a score of 82-0
- Coastal Carolina defeated Furman in three overtimes 47-45
- PC traveled to Atlanta take on Georgia Tech and suffered a 59-3 loss to the Yellow Jackets
- Clemson had an easy time with Ball State as they defeated the Cardinals 52-27… In the game Clemson’s Spencer Benton kicked a 61 yard field goal in the second quarter setting ACC record for distance.
- And the South Carolina Gamecocks handed just as easy a time as they defeated East Carolina 48-10… Laurens native said Strickland got into the game late and threw a touchdown pass.
In NFL action yesterday:
- The Carolina Panthers fell to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16-10 in Florida yesterday.
- The Atlanta Falcons had better success as they defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 40-24 out in Kansas.
The Atlanta Braves took three games from the New York Mets up in New York this weekend… They won on Friday night a score of 3-0, Saturday night 11-3 and Sunday by a score of 3-2 in 10 innings… The Braves start a three-game series with the Brewers in Milwaukee tonight.
I’ll have NASCAR results tomorrow and tell you the drivers are in the chase for the cup.
And by the way join us tomorrow night as we have the Coach Lawson Show at the House of Pizza next door to Bi-Lo.. If you come in and ask for it, you can get 10 wings for $6.00.. This offer is good from 6 pm until closing but you must ask for it.. Come in and join us as we celebrate the win over Clinton.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Volleyball Teams at Laurens starting at 5 PM
- Girls Golf host Union County at Lakeside Country Club at 5 PM
- The Volleyball Teams will host Clinton starting at 5 PM
For Laurens Acad.:
- VB Varsity Tri Match vs. King Academy and Aiken Prep @ King 4:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.