Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-17-12
Local football results from last Friday night:
- Laurens Academy: The Crusaders picked up their second win of the season as they travel to Dillon and defeated the Dillon Christian Warriors 14-12… Calvin Mitchell had a rushing TD… The Crusaders it’s also scored on a pass play from Billy Rockefeller to Cole James.
- Ware Shoals: the Hornets travel to Greenville to take on undefeated Christ Church and found the Cavaliers too much to handle as Christ Church took a 44-14 win… Jaquan Hicks led Ware Shoals (0-4) with 105 yards on 14 rushes &scored on a 40-yard run.
- Clinton High: the Red Devils traveled to Duncan to take on the nationally ranked Byrnes Rebels and unfortunately fell by a score of 41-0… Clinton fell behind early, but hung in with the Rebels through the first period of play… Clinton left scoring opportunities on the field and gave up too many big plays to the Rebels… The Rebels were able to hold the Clinton rushing attack to 108 yards…. For more details on this game, see the posting at www.chsathletics.com.
- Laurens High: the Woodruff Wolverines took a 28-24 win at KC Hannah Stadium… Laurens had 477 yards of total offense (all on the ground) and Roger Talley rushed for 322 yards and two TDs in the losing effort… Laurens defense again played well enough to win but three costly turnovers prove fatal to the Raiders…. For more details on this game, see the posting at www.golaurens.com.
- By the way, I have a posting at WLBG.com in the Between the Lines section with statistics for both the Clinton and Laurens games.
College action this past weekend involving some state teams:
- SC State: the University of Arizona took a 56-0 win over the visiting Bulldogs of SC State.
- Citadel: the Bulldogs travel to Appalachian State and came away with a 52-28 win over the Mountaineers.
- Wofford: the Terriers opened Southern conference play with a 49-20 win over the Catamounts of Western North Carolina in Spartanburg.
- Presbyterian College: the Blue Hose were on the road for a second week in a row taking on a major conference opponent in the form of the Commodores of Vanderbilt out of the SEC… And for the second week in a row, the Blue Hose found themselves outmanned as Vandy took a 58-0 win both.
- Clemson: the Tigers treated Furman respectfully but firmly as they took a 41-7 win over the visiting Paladins.. Sammy Watkins returned to Clemson’s lineup after serving a two-game suspension and had 119 all-purpose yards and a TD.
- South Carolina: the Gamecocks overcame a slow start to defeat the Blazers of the University of Alabama at Birmingham by a score of 49-6… Head Coach Steve Spurrier picked up his 200th collegiate win and Gamecock running back Marcus Lattimore became Carolinas all-time leading touchdown scoring leader as he scored his 34th career TD during the game.
- The Carolina Panthers took a 35-27 victory over the New Orleans Saints in their home opener yesterday
- The Atlanta Falcons will host the Denver Broncos tonight at 8:30 PM in the Georgia Dome in a game that can be seen on ESPN.
We’ll catch up with the Braves and NASCAR tomorrow.
Now I want to remind you as I go to be sure to check out my store supported WLBG.com for today’s local athletic schedule… Also, don’t forget the Coach Greg Lawson Show tomorrow at 7:30 PM live from the House of Pizza… I’ll have a pair of tickets to this coming Saturday’s PC versus Furman football game to give away… Stay tuned for more details.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street host Sanders 5 PM
- Varsity volleyball host union County 6 PM
For Laurens Acad.:
- Varsity volleyball host Spartanburg Day 5 PM
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.