Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-18-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. This time of year everybody thinks about football but did you know there are other sports going on a PC also…. There’s men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s cross-country and volleyball… If you want to find out what’s going on in any of these sports, gobluehose.com is your one source for all the information you desire.
Local results: Let’s catch up on some items I have not had time to bring you.
- Last Thursday night the Laurens Academy Middle School football team had their first game of the season and unfortunately Spartanburg Christian took a 48-6 win.
- Also last Thursday, the Lady Raider Golf Team traveled to Fox Run C.C. to take on the Hillcrest Rams in region play.. The raiders stayed close but Hillcrest took the win shooting a team score of 211 to Laurens’ 218.. Katie Paterson and Victoria Fleck both shot a 49 to lead the Raiders.
- Last Friday 3 new members were inducted into the Laurens School Dist 55 Athletic Hall of Fame.. They were Nancy Hughes Sherer, Carl Drakeford and Walter Todd.. Todd was there to receive the honor.. Mrs. Sherer has passed away but her husband Danny, her children and grandchildren were there to accept for her… Likewise Mr. Drakeford has also passed away and his sons Carl Jr as well as other family members were on hand… There is also a nice posting at www.ldhssports.com about the ceremony.. Click on the following link to hear more information about these 3 individuals and why they were chosen for inclusion in the hall of fame. Hall of Fame Announcement
Atlanta Braves: Now let’s catch up on the Braves.
- The Braves hosted the NL East leading Washington Nationals last weekend and did something rare- they swept the Nationals.. On Friday night they took a 2-1 scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.. On Saturday it was not quite so dramatic as the Braves took a 5-4 win plating the winning run in the 8th inning… Freddie Freeman & Jason Heyward both had homers in the game… Then on Sunday the Braves completed the sweep with a 5-1 win over the Nationals .. That put the Braves 5 games in back of the Nationals in the NL East with about 3 weeks left in the season.
- Last night the Braves started a series with the Marlins down in Miami on a successful note as they took a 7-5 win over the Fish… Dan Uggla had a 3 run homer and Martin Prado had 4 hits and 2 RBIs on the night… The series continues tonight in Miami.
- The Carolina Panthers took a 35-27 victory over the New Orleans Saints in their home opener on Sunday.
- The Atlanta Falcons hosted the Denver Broncos last night in the Georgia Dome and the Falcons took a 27-21 over the Broncos… The Broncos came back and made it close in the final period of play.. Peyton Manning threw 3 interceptions in the 1st period
- The latest AP pools had some shake-up near the top as Southern Cal’s loss dropped them out of the top 10.. Alabama remains at #1 while LSU moves up from 3rd to 2nd.. The remainder of the top 5 are composed of Oregon, Florida State and Georgia.. South Carolina checks in at # 7 this week, up 1 from # 8 last week…Clemson moved up from 11 to 10 making this the 1st time in my memory that both of the state’s major schools have been in the top 10 at the same time.
And finally a reminder to join me tonight at the House of Pizza next door to Bi-Lo for the Coach Greg Lawson show tonight.. I’ll get started at 7:30 so come on up and join us.. Be sure to take advantage of the 60 cent wing specials tonight form 6:00 pm until closing as well as other specials.. I’ll be giving away a pair of tickets to the PC-Furman game this Saturday.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Cross Country @ Union 5:00
- JV / Varsity Volleyball @ Chester 5:30 / 7:00
- Girls Tennis Team @ Chester 4:30
- Girls Golf travels to Stoney Point to play Greenwood 4:30
- Girls tennis Host Hillcrest at Laurens City Court 5:00
- Volleyball teams host TL Hannah 5:30 / 7:00
For Laurens Acad.:
- MS & Varsity volleyball @ Wardlaw 4:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.