Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-19-12
Local Sports Results: Lots of contests were canceled due to the weather last night but I have some “catching up” to do.
- On Monday night, the Laurens Volleyball team defeated Union County to take their match of the season after coming close many times.. The Lady Raiders took 5 sets to get the win.. They won the 1st set 25-16 then dropped the 2nd 23-25.. They rebounded and took the 3rd 25-9 but lost the 4th 20-25.. They then took the 5th and deciding set 15-8 to take the win.
Now let’s recap action at the Laurens County Speedway from last Saturday night for those of you who did not make it out to the track.
- Front Wheel Drive: Megan Templeton won her 1st race of the season in the main event in this division.. Bill Baker finished 2nd and Roger Wright 3rd.
- Limited Late Model: Kris Norwood crossed the finish line 1st in the main event.. David Todd secured the points championship for the season as he finished 3rd thus eliminating any chance that his nearest competitor Brad Rachels could catch him with 3 races to go.
- Late Model: Frankie Coates was the winner in the main event with Billy Rushton & Mike Measamer rounding out the top 3.
- Hobby: Dan Lawson led from the start but had to hold off Mart Patterson for the win.. Phillip Wilson took 3rd place.
- Super Stock 4: When the main event finished here, there were only 3 cars left in the race.. The finishing order was David Baker 1st, Tim Collins 2nd and Wayne Simmons 3rd.
The Braves’ 4 game winning streak came to a halt last night as the Marlins defeated them 4-3 in 10 innings down in Miami.. They finish the 3 game series in Miami tonight.
Couple of other notes as I finish up:
- A reminder that Head Coach Mike Ayers of the Wofford Terriers will be the feature speaker at the Laurens County Touchdown Club this Friday.. The meeting starts at noon out at Lakeside Country Club.. Come join us as we honor the local players from each high school & PC as selected by their respective coaches.. New members are always welcome.. Contact Marlene Owens at 833-2716 for information.
- And lastly I want to remind both Clinton and Laurens fans, about the contest called the Carolina Mascot Challenge in which you can vote for your favorite high school mascot… Both schools have their mascot listed among the 57 that you can vote for… The winner is determined by fan votes and will receive $1500 in cash to purchase a new costume… The contest is sponsored by Media General Operations and Honda Dealers of the Carolinas.. It is a 3 round contest with the 1st round ending Sept.24.. The top 12 will advance to the 2nd round.. You can vote once a day.. Click on the following link to vote: http://www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street VB vs Hickory Tavern 5:00
- Tennis vs Woodruff 4:30
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.