Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-20-12
- The CHS girls tennis team took on the woodruff Wolverines at home yesterday and came away with a 7-0 win.. In singles action Mason Page gambrel, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton all took victories in 2 straight sets… The #1 doubles team composed of Gambrel and Waldron as well as the #2 doubles team composed of Brooke Foster and Maggie O’Shields also had wins.. Clinton’s record goes to 2-0 in region action.
- Meanwhile the Clinton cross country team made-up the rained out match from Tuesday with Chapman.. The girls lost because they had some injuries and had to rest 2 of our runners. It takes 5 scores to count… However, the girls ran a great race with 3 of the 4 setting personal best times… The story was different for the boys as they won sweeping the 1st 5 places..
- The Braves got back on the winning track yesterday as they took a 3-0 win over the Marlins down in Florida.. The Braves scored single runs in each of the 1st three innings and Chris Medlin held the Fish t just 4 hits in 8 innings of work.. By the way, the Marlins gave Chipper Jones a nice fishing set before the game as he played his last game against them in Florida.. The Braves have the night off and will travel to Philadelphia to take on the Phillies in a weekend series beginning tomorrow night.
- Last Sunday Brad Keselowski took the win in the Sprint Cup race up in Chicago.. Jimmy Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Kyle Busch and Ryan Newman rounded out the top 5.
- The driver standings now look like this: Keselowski moves up 3 spots to take the lead with 2056 points.. Jimmy Johnson is 2nd 3 points back.. Tony Stewart 3rd, Denny Hamlin 4th and Kasey Kahne comes in 5th to round out the top 5.
- And one last NASCAR note, AJ Allmendinger has now been reinstated after completing the Substance Abuse Policy Road to recovery Program it was announced earlier this week.. He had been suspended since July 7th after testing positive for what his representative said was amphetamines.. No word yet on if he will be hired by any of the team owners.
- The #10 Clemson Tigers offense will face a still test this Sat. when they face the #4 Seminole’s defense a little after 8pm down in Tallahassee.. While scoring 176 points, the Seminole defense has given up only 3 points in 3 games.. Of course they have not faced an offense the caliber of Clemson’s.. I guess we shall see.
- Coach Steve Spurrier announce the other day that Connor Shaw would get the start this Sat. afternoon against Missouri based on his practices so far this week.. Don’t be surprised if you see Dylan Thompson at some point.. Senior defensive back D.J. Swearinger will set out this Saturdays after being suspended by the SEC Commissioner Mike Slive for his helmet-to-helmet contact against a UAB player last Saturday.. Such action is against the NCAA rules by rule requires the league to take action prior to the next game.. Good Call!
Lastly a reminder that there will be a fan bus going to Easley tomorrow leaving from in front of LDHS at 6:00pm.. The cost is $7.00.. Call the transportation office at 682-9117 to get on the list or for more information.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
Middle School Football: all games start at 5 pm
- 9th FB vs Blue Ridge 6:30
- JV FB at Abbeville 7:00
- Red FB at Honea Path 5:00
- White FB vs Laurens 5:00
- JV/Varsity VB vs Woodruff 5:30/7:00
- Girls Golf @ Bonnie Brae – JL Mann 4:30
- Tennis host Woodmont: 5:00
- 9th Grd. – Strom Thurmond 5:30
- JV host Easley – 7:30
For Laurens Acad.:
- Varsity VB and MS VB vs. Anderson Christian 4:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.