Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-24-12
Results in area football last Friday night:
- Ware Shoals: The Hornets picked up their 1st win of the season as they defeated Southside Christian 46-21 at Tommy Davis Field in Ware Shoals… The Hornets held the Sabers to negative 99 yards rushing but did give up 305 yards passing while they managed 403 yards of offense.. The Hornets had 2 backs with over 100 yards as Jaquan Hicks had 161 yards in 13 attempts and Juwan Abney had 121 in 13 carries… Ware Shoals record in now 1-4.
- Laurens Academy: The Crusaders picked up their 3rd win of the season against 2 losses as the defeated King Academy on the road coming back from a 5 point deficit at the half to take the win by a final score of 40-26.. Billy Rockefeller led the Crusaders rushing for close to 100 yards on the ground scoring 1 TD that way and completing 3 TD passes while and passing for over 150 yards.. Matthew Urwick was a recipient of 2 of his TD passes.
- Clinton High: The Red Devils hosted the Abbeville Panthers in an exhibition of what can be called ball-control football and in the end; Abbeville prevailed by a score of 24-22… By ball control I mean the Panthers had the ball only 6 times during the entire game and the Red Devils only 5.. The game went back & forth all night with Clinton scoring about midway in the 4th period to cut the Panthers lead to 2.. After that, Abbeville was able to get a couple of 1st downs of Clinton miscues to preserve the win.. Lavardick Glenn scored twice and had 131 yards rushing.. Landon Allison completed a TD pass to Montez Boyd for the other score… For more details on this game, go to http://www.chsathletics.com
- Laurens High: The Laurens Raiders opened region play on the road with a huge 27-16 win over the previously unbeaten Easley Green Wave… The Raiders offense was sluggish through much of the first half except for a scoring drive that was capped by a Roderick Talley 65 yard TD run. .. Easley led 8-7 at the half and that was the score until just after the start of the 4th quarter… Easley then took a 16-7 lead but the Raider offense awoke and answered with a drive of their own cutting the score to 16-14.. Easley then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and that opened the door for Laurens as Talley scored on the next play.. Laurens defense held and Talley scored again with 2:45 left in the game to ice the game.. . Coach Lawson stated after the game that the defense and kicking game were what kept Laurens in the game and gave them the opportunity to win… Talley ended the game with 175 yards rushing and the 4 TD runs… For more details on the game, go to www.ldhssports.com.
- Statistics for Clinton & Laurens games: For complete game stats for both the Clinton and Laurens games, see my posting in the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com
Some State College Scores from This Past weekend:
- S.C State lost big for the second week in a row on the road as Texas A&M took a 70-14 over the Bulldogs.
- The Citadel Bulldogs lost for the 1st time this season as NC State Wolfpack took a 52-14 win up in NC.
- Furman picked up their 1st win of the season as they defeated PC in Clinton 31-21 despite a 2nd half comeback by the Blue Hose.
- The University of South Carolina behind Connor Shaw’s passing and Marcus Latimore scoring from short distance allowed the Gamecocks to remain undefeated as they defeated Missouri 31-10 in Columbia.
- The Clemson Tigers started out of the gate fast and scored first but could not hold the lead as the Florida State Seminoles defense stiffened in the 2nd half allowing the Noles to take a 49-37 win in Tallahassee.
We’ll catch up on some other sports results from the weekend and late last week tomorrow.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street VB at Gray Court 5:00
- JV/Varsity VB vs. Laurens 5:00/6:30
- JV/Varsity VB at Clinton 5:00/6:30
For Laurens Acad.:
- Varsity Volleyball @ King academy 4:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.