Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-28-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics. The Blue Hose football team is back on the road again tomorrow as they travel to Davidson to take on the Wildcats… Davidson the still looking for his first win of the season while PC is looking for its second… Kickoff is set for 6 PM… Join Erick Thacker on i91.9 FM WKRI for all the action with the pregame starting at 5 PM.
Middle School Football Action from around the area last night:
- The Bell Street White Wildcats took a 14-8 win over the visiting Gray Court-Owens Tigers at Wilder Stadium.. Tashymen Boyd scored for the Wildcats on a 20 yard run in the 2nd.. Myking Price added the extra point making it 8-0 just before the end of the 1st half.… Gray court scored on their opening possession of the 2nd half when Kydale Milton scored on a 4 yard run and added the extra points to make it 8-8… The Wildcats scored the winning touchdown with 1:33 left in the game when Boyd rumbled for 60 yards and a TD.. The extra point was unsuccessful..
- Sanders hosted the Bell Street Red Wildcats and took a 20-0 win… Sanders executed in onside kick to begin the game and recovered it.. Sanders scored a one-yard pass from Summie Carlay to Tye Foster… The extra point was missed, making the score 6-0… Troy Dendy later scored on a 3 yard run at the start of the 2nd period after making a couple of good runs to get them in that position… The extra point was missed making the score 12-0… Dendy against scored just before the end of the half on a 10 yard run with Carlay adding the extra points to make it 20-0.. Sanders turned back Wildcats efforts to score the second half but had problems with penalties was kept them from scoring.
- The Hickory Tavern Panthers traveled to Belton and unfortunately came up on the short end of a 32-0 score… The score was 8-0 at the half but the Panthers could not come back as errors continue to plague them on both offense and defense.
JV and 9th grade action around the area last night:
- The Clinton 9th grade team defeated Strom Thurmond Rebels 34-14 in Clinton last night… The Red Devils scored in the opening drive of the night when Kevious Hunter scored from 41 yards out… The extra point failed making the score 6-0 with 5:40 left play in the first quarter… Tay Cook had the first of three interceptions on the night during the Rebels first possession… The red Devils did not capitalize on this as they fumbled at the Rebel 5 yard line.… However 2 plays later a rebel running back was dropped in the end zone for a safety by Tyson Evans and Clayton Padgett to make the score 8-0… Following the safety and ensuing kick Clinton again scored with Cook carrying the ball in from the 2.. He added the extra points taking the score 16-0 with 5:05 left in the half… The Rebels then threatened but Cook got his second interception and carried it to the rebel 18 wherefore plays later Jones scored from 1 yard out… The extra point failed, making the score 22-0 at the half… The Rebels scored on the opening possession of the second half making the score 22-8… Clinton responded with a long drive which ended with a 5 yard TD run by Jones… The extra point was missed so the score stood at 28-8… Clinton’s last score came on a pick-six by Cook on his 3rd interception of the night carrying a 48 yards for the TD… The extra point again failed making it 34-8… The rebels scored with 47.1 seconds left to make the final score 34-14.
- The CHS JV team traveled to Broome and took a 15-12 win… Hezekiah Simpson had to rushing TDs and approximately 180 yards rushing… Broome scored on their first drive and again later on a long TD pass.
- The Laurens 9th grade and JV teams traveled up to Woodmont last night and both came home with victories… The 9th grade team took a 44-7 win over the Wildcats… You pay scored on their opening drive on a 35 yard pass from Graydon Hamby to Darius Harvey making the score 6-0… Also in the first quarter, Toby Jackson completed a 25 yard pass to Chris Statom to set the Raiders up at the Wildcat 2 yard line… Allen Johnson then carried in for the score and Chris Thompson added two points to make it 14-0 still in the first quarter… In the second period, Toby Jackson connected with Kiantate Boyd for a 27 yard TD.. The extra point was good making it 22-0… The final score of the first half came when Darius Harvey intercepted the Wildcat pass in the end zone and returned it 102 yards for the score… Johnson added 2 point conversion making the score 30-0 at the half.. The Raiders scored in the third. When Jackson again connected with Boyd on a 40 yard touchdown pass… Nick Brown added the two point conversion making the score 38-0… The Wildcats got their only score early in the fourth period.… The Raiders final score came in the fourth. On a 30 yard run by Allen Johnson the extra point failed making the final score 44-7… Coach Jonathan Dailey said after the game, we really had a good defenses and offensive effort with the defense forcing lots of punts.
- In JV action, the Raiders took a 30-0 win over the Wildcats.. Laurens had on the board first on a 2 yard run by Malik Higgins… Grayson Bailes added the 2 point conversion making an 8-0… The second score came in the 2nd period as Bailes connected with Jacorius Sullivan on a 20 yard scoring pass… The conversion failed making the score 14-0.. Laurens scored again before the half when Bailes connected with Connor Wilson on a 4 yard pass… Devon Woodruff carried the 2 point conversion in making the score 22-0 at the half… Laurens next score came in the third. When Devon Woodruff scored on a 6 yard TD run… Connor Wilson converted two-point rush making the score 30-0… The rest of the game is pretty much back and forth and at the end coach Jason Shumpert noted the good defensive effort.
Other Local Results;
- The Red Devil Tennis Team defeated Chapman 7-0.. Click on the following for match details: CLINTON HIGH TENNIS 9-27-12 Now I also have a schedule concerning the tennis team’s participation in a tournament at Belton this weekend.. Click on the following to view that:2012 Chick-fil-A Hall of fame Schedule.
- Back on Tuesday the Raider Lady Tennis team shutout Westside five score of 7-0..Then yesterday the tennis team fell to Greenwood as the Eagles took a 5-2 decision… If you check the Between the Lines section at WLBG.com you will find more information about both of these matches.
- Atlanta Braves: the Braves took a 6-2 win over the Marlins last night in Atlanta giving them a sweep of the series… The Braves start their final home series of the regular season tonight with the Mets.. The Braves will honor their retiring third baseman Chipper Jones with a big celebration before tonight’s game.
- The WPCC broadcast crew will bring you all the action live tonight starting at 6:45 as the Red Devils host Broome for homecoming.
- The Saturday Morning Rewind Show will come to you live from Whiteford’s of Clinton starting at 8 AM… Join the WPCC broadcast crew as they bring you all the results of tonight’s local action and look at college action this weekend… Immediately after that at 9 AM, there’ll be a replay of tonight’s Clinton – Broome game.
- On Saturday, you can catch the action as the South Carolina Gamecocks travel to Kentucky to take on the Wildcats… Pregame starts at 6 PM.
- Today at 5:30 join me for the Friday Night Insiders program… As usual, we will have interviews with all the local coaches and have Elmo as he tries to guess high school and college course….And I do mean guess because he hasn’t been done that good lately… After that, we’ll have Stan Olenick and his High School Rage program previewing high school football tonight.
- Then about 6:35 join us as we bring you all the action live from KC Hannah Stadium as Laurens takes on Woodmont in a big region contest which also happens the homecoming… After the game is over, will again join Stan Olenick for his high school results program.
- Then tomorrow on WLBG you can catch all the action has Clemson travels to Boston College for a 3:30 kickoff… Pregame will start about an hour before that.
The local sports schedule for this weekend includes:
- FB vs. Broome 7:30 Homecoming
- Tennis at Belton (Tour) Friday & Saturday TBA
- Varsity football host Woodmont 7:30 Homecoming
- Saturday: Varsity Volleyball @ Pickens Tournament TBA
- Saturday: LDHS Alumni Basketball game 2:00
For Laurens Acad.:
- MS Football host Spartanburg Christian 5:30
- Varsity Football host WW King 7:30
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.