Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-1-12
Catching Up on Local sports:
High School Football:
- Ware Shoals: the Hornets travel to Whitmire take on the Wolverines and it was a happy ride home for the Hornets as they took a 57-0 win over the Wolverines… Sorry but no details at this time.
- Laurens Academy: last Friday night the Crusaders were asked to do something a little unusual, go from 11-man football back down 8-man football with only four days of practice.. This was done to accommodate WW King which still plays the eight-man variety… The results were not what Crusader fans wanted as the undefeated Knights took a 58-38 win over the Crusaders.. The Crusaders only trailed 36-22 to at the half and had a chance at the end but big plays by the Knights seal their fate… Billy Rockefeller had 3 TD passes in the losing effort, 2 to Matthew Urich and 1 to Caleb Greene… Green and Calvin Mitchell also had a rushing TD each…
- Clinton High: the Red Devils started region play against the Broome Centurions handicapped by the fact that some of their best players were on the sidelines with injuries… In the end, Broome took a 41-25 win over the Red Devils… Broome used big plays in their win such as an onside kick that was returned for a TD… Clinton on the other hand, failed to convert on opportunities… A 4th and goal from inside the one was stuffed by the Centurions.. Matthias Williams had 128 yards rushing and a TD to lead the Red Devil rushing attack… Breshaud Parks also had a rushing TD…. Quarterback Landon Allison went 8-21 for 118 yards and two TDs… Montez Boyd was the recipient of both TDs and wound up with 6 catches for 98 yards… Friday night’s game was also homecoming at CHS… Kelsey Davis was named Miss CHS 2012.
- Laurens High: the Raiders started slow in their homecoming contest as Woodmont jumped out to a 7-0 lead… However, the Raiders scored the next 41 points taking a 41-7 win at KC Hannah Stadium… Wildcat Coach Jason Farmer’s game plan was simple; stop Roderick Talley & and do things the Raiders had not seen on video… For a while, it was successful but Laurens adjusted and then rolled… By halftime the score stood 21-7 in the Raiders favor… Quinn Suber led all Laurens rushers with 122 yards in 18 carries and 1 TD… Talley finished the night with 53 yards and 2 TDs… Desmond Beasley- Jones also had 2 rushing TDs.. Laurens also had 206 yards passing with Dusty Palmer going 3-6 for 119 yards including one 87 yard scoring strike to Hammer Walker.. At halftime, class princes and homecoming queen were crowned… Freshman princes was Sydney Reed, Sophomore Princess was Elssy Rosario, Junior Princes was Alexis Moses and Senior Princes was Amber Anderson.. Senior Tory Chastain was crowned LDHS Homecoming Queen..
- Note: if you are interested in statistics on the Laurens and Clinton games, go to www.WLBG.com and checking the Between the Lines section for a posting with those statistics… Also you can find more details about these Clinton game at www.chsathletics.com and more about the Laurens game at www.ldhsathletics.com
College: in action involving state teams
- S. C. State defeated Norfolk State 14-0 in Orangeburg.
- The Citadel loss for the 2nd time this year as Chattanooga defeated them 28-10 down the coast.
- PC picked up his 2nd win of the season as they defeated Davidson 28-13 up in North Carolina.
- Wofford travel to Elon and came away with a 49-24 victory.
- Furman picked up their 2nd win of the season as they defeated Western Carolina 45-24 at home.
- Clemson rebounded from its loss to Florida State with a 45-31 win as they defeated Boston College 45-31 of the Chestnut Hill… The Tajh Boyd to DeAndre Hopkins passing combination sparked the Tigers.
- South Carolina early on like they were looking ahead to Georgia as the Gamecocks trailed 17-7 at halftime on the road to the Kentucky Wildcats… The Gamecocks then went on a roll scoring 31 unanswered points to remain unbeaten with a 38-17 win.
- Join me tomorrow night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at TL Hanna… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Girls golf at Lady Green Wave Invitational
For Laurens Acad.:
- MS & Varsity volleyball @ Anderson 4:30
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.