Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-4-12
Catching Up on Local sports:
- Back on Tuesday, the Lady Red Devil varsity volleyball team traveled to Broome and came back with a 3-1 victory… The score of the games were: 25-18, 20-25, 25-16 and 25-12… For more details on this match check out the posting at www.chsathletics.com… The Red Devil record now stands at 10-4 overall & 5-1 in region play.
- There was one middle school football game last night as the Bell Street White team traveled to Laurens to take on Sanders.. Neither team was able to get on the scoreboard in the first half… Sanders struck first on the 2nd play from scrimmage in the 2nd half when Summie Carlay hit Josh McGowan for a 72 yard scoring play with 6:31 left in the third quarter.. Carlay also added the 2 point conversion making the score 8-0… The Wildcats then answered that with a 10 play drive scoring with 13.3 seconds left in the quarter when Dante Reeder carried over from the 1 yard line… The extra point attempt failed making the score 8-6 in favor of Sanders… After the kickoff, Sanders Troy Dendy answered that with an 84 yard rumble for a score… The two point conversion failed and the score stood 14-6… The Wildcats responded with the drive but a fumble at the Sanders 40 yard line snuffed out the comeback… Neither team could score after that, so the final score was 14-6 with Sanders taking the win.. After the game, Wildcats coach Michael Turner stated “ I was proud of the effort and the way the team responded. We learned a lot about ourselves tonight”. Sanders coach Willie Bryson also stated “I was proud of the way the team stepped up after a sluggish first half. The defense really stepped up after we had the first touchdown of the season scored against us tonight.”
- Catching up on action from the Laurens County Speedway last Saturday night:
- Super Stock Four: Scott Nelson took the checkered flag in the main event here.. Michael Simmons was 2nd and Brian Nelson 3rd.
- Limited Late Model: Brad Rachels crossed the finish line first in the main event.. Ray Storay and Chris Norwood rounded out the top three.
- Hobby Division: Dan Lawson won the main event race.. Dusty Eaves and Bruce Bishop finished 2nd & 3rd respectively
- Front Wheel Drive: Bruce Barnett took the win in the main event race here… Justin Sloan finished 2nd and Chris Ellison was 3rd.
- Super Late Model: in the main event here, the order of finish for the first three were Billy Rushton, Larry Timms & Terry Bullard.
- Note: this Saturday will be the last night of racing for the season at the Laurens County Speedway.NASCAR: I have not been ignoring
- NASCAR, I just simply haven’t had time to get it in… With that in mind, let’s take a look at the Sprint Cup driver standings going into this weekend’s race: Brad Keselowski hold down the #1 spot.. Jimmie Johnson is only 5 points behind in #2 place and the rest of the top five are rounded out by Denny Hamlin, Clint Bowyer & Tony Stewart.… Casey Kahne, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Martin Truex Jr., Kevin Harvick & Jeff Gordon round out the top 10.
- Atlanta Braves: the Braves finished their regular season with a 4-0 win over the Pirates up in Pittsburgh yesterday… Chipper Jones did not start but had a pinch-hit opportunity in the sixth inning and ended his regular season career with the hit… The Braves will now face the Cardinals in a one-game playoff on Friday at 5:07pm to determine who advances to the NL Division Series.
- Today we are planning on broadcasting the 9th grade and JV games live from KC Hannah Stadium as the Raiders take on the TL Hanna Yellow Jackets… The action starts a few minutes before 5:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- There will be a fan bus going to TL Hannah tomorrow night and it leaves from in front of LDHS at 6:00pm.. The cost is $7 and does NOT include the cost of the ticket when you get there.. If you want to get on the list, call 862-9117
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 5th and the featured speaker will Willie Jeffries legendary former coach at S.C. State. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
Middle School Football:
- Belton @ Laurens 5:00
- Honea Path @ Gray Court-Owens 5:00
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street Red 5:00
- 9th /JV FB vs. Chapman 6:00
- Red FB vs. Hickory Tavern 5:00
- JV/Varsity VB vs. Chester 5:30/7:00
- Tennis vs. Chester 4:30
- Girls tennis host TL Hanna at Laurens City Park 5:00
- 9th grade & JV football host TL Hanna 5:30/7:30
For Laurens Acad.:
- Thursday- MS Football @ WW King 6:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.