Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-4-12
Catching Up on Local sports:
High School Football results from last Friday:
- Palmetto Christian 60 – Laurens Academy 6: The Crusaders travel to Mount Pleasant and it was a long ride home as Palmetto Christian took a 60-6 when… The Crusaders lone score came on a pass from Billy Rockefeller to Matthew Urich…
- Ware Shoals 48 – St. Joseph’s 30: Jaquan Hicks rushed for 257 yards with four touchdowns and returned a kickoff 95 yards for another score as the Hornets rallied from a 24-21 deficit in the 4th quarter to win the non-region Class A game. .Andre Stoddard had 32 carries for 336 yards and two touchdowns for St.Joseph’s (5-2).Wesley Jordan and Sammy Lomax also rushed for touchdowns for Ware Shoals (3-4).
- Chapman 21 – Clinton 17: the Red Devils had a 14 to 7 lead over the Panthers going into the final period of play but could not hold on to it at Chapman came back to take the win… Clinton’s offense just could not get on track in the second half and the Red Devils missed opportunities… Levardick Glenn had a 2 yard TD run in the first quarter and Matthias Williams a 15 yard TD run in the second quarter
- Laurens 42 - TL Hanna 13: the Raiders probably had their most complete game of the season in a convincing win over the Yellow Jackets as they go 3-0 in region play and 5-2 overall… Laurens first score came on a 39 yard pass play from Quinn Suber to Khalid Taylor.. Laurens next score came when a high snap forced to Hannah punter to pick up the ball and run out of the back of the end zone for a safety.. Laurens scored just before the end of the first period of play when Kalim Taylor blocked a punt and pick up the ball and ran it 25 yards for the score… In the second period, heretic of the first score to make it 16-6… A little later, Laurens started a scoring flurry which would see them score 3 times in a little over 2 min.… The first of the three scores would come when Quinn Suber scored from 8 yards out and with the PAT the score stood 23-6 with 2:21 left before the half… Laurens held Hannah on their next possession and forced a punt… The Raiders then went 58 yards in five plays scoring when Roderick Talley carried the ball in from 1 yard out… With 25 seconds left in the half, Desmond Beasley Jones stripped the ball from a Hanna runner and Quadra Smith scooped it up and carried it down the sidelines for a 40 yard TD making the score 36-6 at the half.. Hannah managed one more score in the 3rd quarter and Laurens wrapped up the scoring in the 4th period when Quinn Suber completed a 19 yard scoring play to Markel Bolden.
- I have statistics from the Clinton @ Chapman game as well as the Laurens @ Hannah game posted in the Between the Lines section at the WLBG website.
College Results From The Weekend:
- Samford 38 – Citadel 7
- NC Central 40 – SC State 10
- VMI 17 – PC 7
- Wofford 20 – Furman 17
- Clemson 47 – Ga. Tech 31
- South Carolina 35 – Georgia 7
College Rankings: There was some shake-up in the AP Poll as top 5 as Florida State, LSU and Georgia all lost.. The new AP Poll top 10 are: 1– Alabama, 2- Oregon, 3- South Carolina, 4- Florida, 5- West Virginia, 6- Kansas State, 7- Notre Dame, 8- Ohio state, 9- LSU & 10- Oregon State… Clemson dropped 1 to #16..
- Join me Tuesday night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at TL Hanna… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Thursday, we are planning on broadcasting the 9th grade and JV games live from KC Hannah Stadium as the Raiders take on the Hillcrest Rams… The action starts a few minutes before 5:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featuRed speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street Volleyball @ Hickory Tavern
- Girls Golf at Region Tournament
For Laurens Acad.:
- Middle School & varsity volleyball @ Richard Winn 4:00 – 5:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.