Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-9-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… PC dropped its’ Big South opener up at VMI last Saturday as the Keydets took a 17-7 win.. PC’s offense managed only 45 yards in offense the 1st half but managed to get to get 240 in the 2nd half… PC dropped to 2-4 overall and 0-1 in the Big South .. PC comes back home this Saturday for a 2 pm kickoff with Liberty.. It is homecoming and if you would like to win a pair of tickets to the contest, join me tonight at the House of Pizza for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… I have a pair of tickets I’ll give away to one lucky fan tonight.. The show starts at 7:30 and remember they have 60₵ wings from 6 pm until closing along with other specials.
Catching Up on Local sports: I have some results from late last week that I just have not had time to get to you so I’ll start with those:
- Back on Thursday night the CHS volleyball team defeated Chester 3-1.. That runs their record to 11-4 overall and 6-1 in region play.. The JV’s also took a win over Chester last Thursday by a score of 2-1.. The teams will be on the road to Woodruff today.
- Also on Thursday night the Lady Red Devil Tennis Team took a 7-0 win over Chester at home.. In singles action, Mason Page Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton all took wins.. The #1 doubles team composed of Maggie O’Shields & Brooke Foster as well as the #2 doubles Rachel Lloyd & Carlee Herringa posted wins.
- Over at LDHS, the Lady Raider Tennis Team hosted TL Hannah at the Laurens City Courts and the region leading Rams proved to be hard to handle as they took a 7-0 win over the Raiders… There is a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com that has match details.. The team will have its last home match today at the Laurens City Courts at 5 pm and before the match they will honor their lone senior Rebecca Corley and her favorite teacher at 4:30 pm.
- There was some shake-up in the AP Poll this week as top 5 as Florida State, LSU and Georgia all lost.. The new AP Poll top 10 are: 1– Alabama, 2- Oregon, 3- South Carolina, 4- Florida, 5- West Virginia, 6- Kansas State, 7- Notre Dame, 8- Ohio State, 9- LSU & 10- Oregon State… Clemson dropped 1 to #16..
- Looking at the FCS rankings, Wofford checked in at #4 behind North Dakota State, Montana State & Old Dominion.
- In case you did not stay up late enough to see the end of the NFL Monday Night Football Game last night, the Houston Texans remain undefeated and 5-0 as they defeated the New York Jets 23-17 on the road.
- Join me Tuesday night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at TL Hanna… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Thursday, we are planning on broadcasting the 9th grade and JV games live from KC Hannah Stadium as the Raiders take on the Hillcrest Rams… The action starts a few minutes before 5:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. and as a note of interest, the videos of the last club meeting on 10-5-12 are posted at wlbg.com and include the comments made by local coaches as well as the featured speaker former SC State Head Coach Willie Jeffries.. Check them out.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- JV/Varsity VB at Woodruff 5:30/7:00
- Tennis at Woodruff 4:30
- Cross Country at Woodruff 5:00
- Girls Tennis host JL Mann 5:00
- JV & varsity volleyball @ Easley 5:30 / 7:00
For Laurens Acad.:
- MS & varsity Volleyball host Northside 4:00 / 5:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.