Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-10-12
Catching Up on Local sports:
- The CHS cross country team participated in a 7-way meet at Woodruff yesterday and while I do not have details on the event, I can tell you that the boys team won.. The other schools participating were Broome, Chapman, Chester, Spartanburg, Woodruff and Union County.. The team will run for the region championship next Tuesday.
- The Lady Red Devil Tennis team traveled to Woodruff yesterday and came back victorious also as they defeated the Wolverines 7-0.. In singles action, Mason Page Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton all took wins.. The #1 doubles team composed of Gambrell & Waldron as well as the #2 doubles Brooke Foster & Maggie O’Shields also posted wins… The team travels to Chester for a match today at 5 pm.
- Well it looks like Clinton made it a clean sweep in varsity action against Woodruff yesterday because the varsity volleyball took a 3-2 victory… For more details on this match, go to www.chsathletics.com.
- Meanwhile the LDHS Lady Raider Tennis team held their final home match at the Laurens City Courts on Tuesday afternoon and before the match the honored their only senior Rebecca Corley.. Rebecca has played on the team since the 7th grade… Rebecca in turn honored her favorite teacher Mrs. Debbie Simpson.. When the match started, Laurens faced a powerful opponent in JL Mann… Mann had swept the Raiders earlier in the season but last night Laurens did manage win 1 game and as JL Mann took a 6-1 victory.. The lone victory came when Coley teamed with Sara Kalyn Coker to pick up a win in doubles action.. Click on the following link for complete match details..
- The Laurens Academy volleyball teams were in action yesterday and good news for the middle school team as they defeated Northside 2-0.. The news was not as good for the varsity team as Newberry took a 3-1 win.
Pros: I have not had a lot of time to mention anything other than local sports so I will take a moment to catch up with the Atlanta Falcon & the Carolina Panthers.
- The Atlanta Falcons are off to their best start ever as they are 5-0 in the young season.. They host the 1-3 Oakland Raiders at 1pm this Sunday.
- The Carolina Panthers are struggling as they own a 1-4 record at this point of the season… The Panthers have this week off and will next play on Sunday, Oct. 21st when they host the Dallas Cowboys.
- On Thursday, we are planning on broadcasting the 9th grade and JV games live from KC Hannah Stadium as the Raiders take on the Hillcrest Rams… The action starts a few minutes before 5:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street VB vs.
- Gray Court 5:00
- Tennis at Chester 4:30
Middle School Football:
- Sanders 7th grade vs. Laurens 7th Grade 5:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.