Catching Up on Local sports:
- The CHS Lady Red Devil Tennis team traveled to Chester yesterday and came back with a 7-0 win…In singles action, Mason Page Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton all took wins.. The #1 doubles team composed of Gambrell & Waldron as well as the #2 doubles Brooke Foster & Maggie O’Shields also posted wins.. That makes the team 8-1 overall and 8-0 in the region.
- Back on Tuesday the Lady Raider Golf Team participated in the Region I-AAAA Tournament held at the Links at Stoney Point near Lake Greenwood with Greenwood High acting as the host school… The Raiders finished 5th shooting a team score of 445.. Easley won the tournament with a 323.. TL Hannah was 2nd, JL Mann 3rd & Hillcrest 4th.. Unfortunately for the Raiders, only the top 4 teams move on to the upper state tournament.. Hillcrest finished 1 stroke ahead of Laurens with a 444 to Laurens 445 to claim the final spot… Katie Patterson was low score for the Raiders with a 107 in 18 holes of play.. For more details on this match, check the Schedules area of the sports section at wlbg.com for the Lady Raider Golf posting that has details on this match as well as others during the season.. The Lady Raiders ended their season with a 4-7 record.
Laurens County Speedway: The racing season ended last Saturday night at the Laurens County Speedway so let’s recap the action in those final races:
- Front-Wheel Drive: Bruce Barnett took the checkered flag in the main event in this division. Dustin Sloan & Travis Jamison finished 2nd & 3rd respectively.
- Limited Late Model: Kris Norwood crossed the finish line 1st with David Todd & B.J. Eubanks being the next 2 across.
- Hobby: Dan Lawson won the main event here adding to his points championship in this division.. Dusty Eaves finished 2nd & Seth Young 3rd.
- Super Late Model: Larry Tims won the main event and a track qualifying record as he turned the track in 13.771 seconds.. Billy Rushton was the points champion for the season in this division.
- Super Stock 4: Brian Nelson won the final main event race but the top finish was not good enough to overcome the 67-point lead that his brother Scott had in the point’s title. Scott Nelson took the title despite finishing 6th in the race… Tim Collins finished 2nd in the last main event race of the season while Kevin Cooper coming in 3rd.
- While we are on the subject of racing, look at the point standings with in the sprint Cup series with only 6 races to go in the chase for the cup.. Brad Keselowski sit in the top spot with 2179.. Jimmie Johnson is 2nd 14 point back and Denny Hamlin is 3rd 23 points back.. Kasey Kahne & Clint Bower round out the top 5.
- Tonight we are broadcasting the 9th grade and JV games live from KC Hannah Stadium as the Raiders take on the Hillcrest Rams… The action starts a few minutes before 5:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
Middle School Football (all games start at 5:00)
- Laurens @ Hickory tavern
- Bell Street White @ Honea Path
- Sanders @ Belton
- Gray Court-Owens @ Bell Street Red
- Combined 9th grade/JV teams host Union County 7:00
- JV/Varsity VB host Union 5:30/7:00
- Tennis host Union 4:30
- Girls tennis @ Hillcrest 5:00
- JV & varsity volleyball @ TL Hannah 5:30 / 7:00
- 9th grade & JV football host Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:30 – Note these games are scheduled to be broadcast.
For Laurens Acad.:
- MS Footballs host Greenwood Christian 6:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.