Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-15-12
Area High School Football from Last Friday Night:
- McCormick 30 – Ware Shoals 24: The Hornets traveled to McCormick to take on the #9 Chiefs in Region 1-A action.. The Hornets were down a couple of key players due to injuries before the game started and lost their leading rusher Jaquan Hicks with a PCL strain late in the 2nd period.
- Trinity Byrnes 33 – Laurens Academy 22: The Crusaders tried to rally from a 19-6 deficit at the half that at one point became a 33-6 score in the 3rd period but came up short.. Playing without star running back Calvin Mitchell may have hampered the Crusaders.. Billy Rockefeller had 2 rushing TDs and hooked up with Robert Williams on a pass for the other… Coach Tyler Vanhook noted that the team continued to fight the whole game and did not quit even when down by 27 points.. Check the posting at GoLaurens.com for more details… By the way, Miss Anna Crews was crowned the Homecoming Queen.
- Clinton 38 – Union County 35: The Red Devils picked up a huge win that keeps their playoff hopes alive as they defeated the Union County Yellow jackets 38-35 on Senior Night at Wilder Stadium.. The Red Devils scored on their 1st 2 possessions to take a 14-0 lead then hold on at the end as they sealed the win with a sack of the Union quarterback at the Red Devil 8 as time ran out… Matthias Williams wound up with 136 yards rushing and 2 TDs while Lavardick Glenn had 3 TDs and 125 yards on the ground. For more details on this contest and comments by Coach Scott King, go to www.chsathletics.com. For game statistics click on the following link:
- Laurens 22 – Hillcrest 19: The Raiders found themselves down to the Hillcrest Rams 19-7 late in the 3rd period but managed to come back and take a 22-19 win over the Rams to remain perfect in region play.. The Raider offense seemed about a step out of rhythm for most of the night but the defense was able to step up and keep the game close enough to give the Raiders their chance.. A 62 yard TD pass from Quinn Suber to Khalid Taylor late in the 3rd period sparked the comeback and with the PAT cut the score to 19-14 Rams.. After a missed Ram field goal with 4:41 left to play, the Raiders started their last dive during which Roderick Talley broke free on a 51 yard run down to the Hillcrest 16 .. Five plays later Talley scored from the 1 and the 2-point halfback pass from Suber to hammer Walker made the final score 22-19 with 1:16 left on the game clock.. The Raider defense than gave up a couple of first downs before stiffening and causing the Rams to turn the ball over on downs at the Hillcrest 41 with 39 seconds to play.. For more details on this game, see the posting at www.ldhsathletics.com.. Click on the following link for complete game statistics:
- There is a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com that has statistics for both the Clinton & Laurens games this past Friday.
College: The scoreboard from this past weekend involving state and area teams is as follows:
- Delaware State 31 – SC State 17
- Chattanooga 31 - Furman 10
- Citadel 45 – Western Carolina 31
- Georgia Southern 17 – Wofford 9
- Liberty 56 – PC 7
- LSU 23 – South Carolina 21
- Join me Tuesday night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at TL Hanna… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Thursday, we will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Laurens Middle and Gray Court-Owens from Gray Court… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA reminds you the registration for Flag Football is open until Sunday, 10-21-12.. It is open to youth 3-14.. Registration is $45 for members and $55 for non-members.. Call the Y at 864-984-2621 for more information.
- The LDHS Cheerleaders will have the Little Raider Cheerleading Camp this coming Saturday (10-20-12) at the LDHS Auxiliary Gym.. It is open to youth 4-12 years of age… participants will have the opportunity to cheer during the 3rdperiod of the raiders game with Greenwood on 11-2-12… Cost is $30.00.. Contact Ashley Hall 864-683-3351 or Rachel Traynham 864-683-3347 for more information.
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Bell Street VB at Laurens 5:00
For Laurens Acad.:
- School & Varsity volleyball @ Cambridge 4:00 / 5:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.