Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-16-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by PC Athletics: last Friday at midnight NCAA rules allowed the basketball teams to begin their pre-season practice… Right now Coach Gregg Nibert and Coach Ronny Fisher are busy getting their teams ready for the upcoming season which opens in less than a month.. Again this year PC is offering a season ticket that will get you into all home games for both the men’s & women’s team.. While a lot of things have gone up in price, not the basketball season ticket.. Again this year it is only $100.. Call the PC Ticket Office at 864-833-8240 for more information or to order.
Catching Up on Local sports:
- Let’s catch up on some action late last week that I just have not had the time to bring to you.. First over at CHS last Thursday, the Lady Red Devil Tennis team hosted Union County in their last home match of the regular season.. It was also senior night for the team got a win for them as they defeated the Yellow Jackets 5-1.. Taking win in singles action were: Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton.. The #2 doubles team composed of Brooke Foster & Maggie O’Shields also picked up a win.. The #1 doubles team did not play.. The team now has a record of 9-1 overall and 9-0 in region.. They finish their regular season today @ Chapman. Click on following for more match details: CLINTON HIGH TENNIS 10-11-12
- Also last Thursday night, the Lady Raider Tennis Team finished their regular season on the road up at Hillcrest.. They needed a win to assure themselves of a 4th place finish in the region thus punching their ticket to the playoffs… However, the Rams took a 5-2 win over the Raiders.. In singles action, Kathleen Horner scored a victory for the Raiders and the #1 doubles team composed of Sara Kalyn Coker & Rebecca Corley accounted for the other Raider win… There is still a chance the team can make the playoffs as two #5 teams will be seeded into the brackets.. Should they make it, I’ll be sure to let you know.. Click on the following for more match details: 2012-10-11-Hillcrest
- It stands to reason that there were some changes in the A.P.’s top 10 after South Carolina lost to LSU last Saturday.. Remaining in the top 2 spots are Alabama #1 & Oregon #2.. Florida moves up one spot to #3 with Kansas State & Notre Dame rounding out the top 5.. Taking positions 6 thru 10 are LSU, Ohio State, Oregon State, South Carolina & Oklahoma.. Clemson had the week off but did move up to 2 spots to # 14.
- The first official BCS rankings came out Sunday night late and the top 10 looks like this: Alabama #1 then Florida, Oregon, Kansas state, Notre Dame #5, LSU, South Carolina, Oregon State, Oklahoma & Univ. of Southern California (USC west) #10.. Clemson shows up at #19 in the BCS.
- Now over in the FCS division, Wofford dropped from #4 to #9 after Georgia Southern defeated them 17-9 last Saturday.. Eastern Washington is #1 with Georgia Southern #3.. App. State comes in at #11.
- Join me tonight as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game with Westside… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Thursday, we had planned to broadcast the middle school football contest between Laurens Middle and Gray Court-Owens from Gray Court… However that contest has been moved to tonight so we will not be able to broadcast it… I’ll check the schedule and let you know tomorrow which if any contest we will be broadcasting this Thursday.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA reminds you the registration for Flag Football is open until Sunday, 10-21-12.. It is open to youth 3-14.. Registration is $45 for members and $55 for non-members.. Call the Y at 864-984-2621 for more information.
- The LDHS Cheerleaders will have the Little Raider Cheerleading Camp this coming Saturday (10-20-12) at the LDHS Auxiliary Gym.. It is open to youth 4-12 years of age… participants will have the opportunity to cheer during the 3rdperiod of the raiders game with Greenwood on 11-2-12… Cost is $30.00.. Contact Ashley Hall 864-683-3351 or Rachel Traynham 864-683-3347 for more information.
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- JV/Varsity VB at Chapman 5:30/7:00
- Tennis at Chapman 4:30
- Cross Country at Woodruff 5:00 (Region Championship)
Middle School Football
- Laurens Middle @ Gray Court-Owens 5:00
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.