Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-17-12
- The CHS Cross Country Teams traveled to Woodruff yesterday to participate in the Region 3-AAA region championship meet… Great news for Red Devil fans as the boys captured to region championship with a score of 33 to 2nd place Woodruff’s 44.. Chris Patterson was named Region Male Runner of the Year… The boys went undefeated in the region this year.. The girls team also participated and though they did not capture the region championship, they did run well enough to qualify for the Upper-State Meet and will join the boys at it on October 27th.. The girls top runner was Ana Ragin..
- Another CHS team also captured a region championship last night and it was the Lady Red Devil Girls Tennis Team.. They traveled to Chapman and came back with a 7-0 win… In singles action, Mason Page Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Delayna Burroughs & Sommer Lawton all took wins.. The #1 doubles team of Gambrell & Waldron as well as the #2 doubles team composed of Maggie O’Shields & Brooke Foster posted wins… They finish the season 10-1 overall and 10-0 in region play.
- There was one middle school football game last night as Laurens Middle School traveled to Gray Court-Owens.. LMS keeps their record perfect at 6-0 as they took a 32-6 over GCO.. GCO opened the game with an onsides kick that LMS’ Brayln McBeth covered but then snapped it through his legs to Ty Rice who carried it in from about 40 yards out.. Brayln McBeth added 2 TDs of his own.. One on a long run and the other on a pass from Colton Leroy.. DQ Floyd & Jaylin Walker also had a rushing TD each for LMS.. Kydale Milton had the lone GCO score on a kickoff return in the 3rd period.
- Catching up with NASCAR, after last week’s Sprint Cup race in Charlotte, there top 3 drivers from last week remain the same in the points standing.. Brad Keselowski is 1st with 2214 points while Jimmie Johns still holds 2nd & Denny Hamlin 3rd just 15 points in back of the leader..Clint Bower & Kasey Kahne round out the top 5.. Greg Biffle, Martin Truex Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon & Kevin Harvick make up the rest of the top 10… Last 5 races could get exciting.
- On Thursday, we will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Hickory Tavern and Bell Street White live from Clinton… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA reminds you the registration for Flag Football is open until Sunday, 10-21-12.. It is open to youth 3-14.. Registration is $45 for members and $55 for non-members.. Call the Y at 864-984-2621 for more information.
- The LDHS Cheerleaders will have the Little Raider Cheerleading Camp this coming Saturday (10-20-12) at the LDHS Auxiliary Gym.. It is open to youth 4-12 years of age… participants will have the opportunity to cheer during the 3rdperiod of the raiders game with Greenwood on 11-2-12… Cost is $30.00.. Contact Ashley Hall 864-683-3351 or Rachel Traynham 864-683-3347 for more information.
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at email@example.com…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
The local sports schedule for today includes:
No Games On The Schedule Today
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.