Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-18-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the City of Clinton where they remind you that the 2nd round live performances for the 7 finalist in Clinton’s Got Talent will take place tonight starting at 6:00.. Then Saturday the Fall festival takes place in Clinton with events starting at 10:00am.. There are a lot of events during the day (more than I have time to tell you here for sure) so go to www.cityofclintonsc.com and click on the events link for a complete listing of all the events this Saturday.
Catching Up on Local sports:
- Yesterday I told you that the CHS Boys Cross Country Team won the region match on Tuesday and that Chris Patterson was name Region Male Runner of the Year.. Well since then I have been informed that Coach Lee Atkinson was name Region Boys Coach of the Year.. So congratulations to the team, Chris Patterson and Coach Atkinson.. Click on the following link to see the completer results for individuals by order of finish for both the girls and boys meet.
- Catching up with CHS volleyball action on Tuesday night, the Red Devils traveled to Chapman to take on the region leading Panthers who a few short weeks ago handed Clinton its only region loss… A win would have created a tie for 1st in the region that would have had to be broken, but it was not to be as Chapman shut out the Red Devils 3-0.. The 1st & 3rd sets were very close but the Red Devils just could not break through for a win.. The Red Devils will start playoffs next Tuesday against an opponent yet to be determined.. See the posting at www.chsathletics.com for more details on this match.
- : Catching up with NASCAR, after last week’s Sprint Cup race in Charlotte, there top 3 drivers from last week remain the same in the points standing.. Brad Keselowski is 1st with 2214 points while Jimmie Johnson still holds 2nd & Denny Hamlin 3rd just 15 points in back of the leader..Clint Bower & Kasey Kahne round out the top 5.. Greg Biffle, Martin Truex Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon & Kevin Harvick make up the rest of the top 10… Last 5 races could get exciting.
- Today I will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Hickory Tavern and Bell Street White live from Clinton… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00… For those of you in Clinton that have trouble picking up WLBG, remember we stream all sporting events on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA reminds you the registration for Flag Football is open until Sunday, 10-21-12.. It is open to youth 3-14.. Registration is $45 for members and $55 for non-members.. Call the Y at 864-984-2621 for more information.
- The LDHS Cheerleaders will have the Little Raider Cheerleading Camp this coming Saturday (10-20-12) at the LDHS Auxiliary Gym.. It is open to youth 4-12 years of age… participants will have the opportunity to cheer during the 3rdperiod of the raiders game with Greenwood on 11-2-12… Cost is $30.00.. Contact Ashley Hall 864-683-3351 or Rachel Traynham 864-683-3347 for more information.
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Oct. 19th and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at email@example.com…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- 9th/JV FB host Chester 6:00
- Red FB at Belton 5:00
- White FB host Hickory Tavern 5:00
- JV/Varsity VB host 96 5:30/7:00
- 9th Grade & JV football @ Westside 5:30 / 7:30
- JV & Varsity Volleyball @ JL Mann 5:30 / 7:00
For Laurens Acad.:
- Middle School football @ Cambridge Academy 6:00
Middle School Football: All Games Start @ 5:00
- Honea Path @ Sanders
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell St. White – Game to be broadcast on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Bell St. Red @ Belton
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.