Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-19-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The PC football team hits the road tomorrow and travels down I-26 to Charleston to take on the Charleston Southern Buccaneers.. PC defeated the Bucks last year 45-14 and would like to make it 2-in-a-row over 2-4 Buccaneers.. Since the 2 teams first met in 1993, the Bucks hold a 13-6 advantage over the Blue Hose… Now if you are not going down tomorrow, remember you can catch all the action starting with the pre-game show at 12:30 on i91.9 FM WKRI with Eric Thacker bringing you the call of the game.
Catching Up on Local sports:
Middle School Football:
- Bell Street Red 20 – Belton 6: The Bell Street Red Wildcats traveled to Belton and came home happy as they took a 20-6 win.. Kiah Young had a TD and a 2-point conversion.. Also scoring were Ziakail Livingston, & CJ Collins also scored for the Wildcats.. Chris Jeter and Reggie Valentine had good night on defense as they both had interceptions.
- Bell Street White 36 – Hickory Tavern 14: The Bell Street White Team scored on ever possession in the 1st half as they jumped out to a 30-0 lead over the visiting Panthers… Donte Reeder and Tashymen Boyd both had 2 rushing TDs in the 1st half.. Reeder’s were on runs of 43 & 7 yards.. Boyds’s were on runs of 29 & 18 yards.. JJ Richardson & MyKing Price added 2 point conversions in the opening half… In the 3rd period, the wildcats scored first and for the last time when Richardson had a 28 yard jaunt… Hickory tavern never gave up and continued to battle scoring twice before the end of the game.. Roy Alexander had both TDs for the Panthers on runs of 40 and 1 yard… Alexander also rushed for a 2-point conversion.. Click on the following link for a more complete report on this game: BSW36-HT14-10-18-12
- Sanders 28 – Honea Path 6: Sander kept their season perfect as they defeated the visitors for Honea Path. Ty Foster caught a 45 yard TD pass from Summie Carlay..Foster added 2 more TDs via the rushing route on runs of 35 & 40 yards.. Troy Dendy also had an 80 yard run for a score.. Carlay picked up a couple of 2-point conversions by both the running and passing route.. Josh McGowan was the recipient of one of those… This sets up a championship game between Sanders and LMS as they both have 6-0 records.. That game will take place next Wednesday at KC Hannah stadium and will be carried here on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Laurens Academy 20 – Cambridge 8: Sorry no details right now.
9th Grade & JV Action:
- Chester 36 – Clinton 14: In a game featuring combined 9th grade & JV teams Chester scored first taking a 6-0 lead but Clinton answered with a pick-six by Donovan Blackmon that he returned about 30 yards for the score.. Vee Thompson added the 2-point conversion making the score 8-6 at the half… Chester scored in the in the 3rd making the score 12-8 Chester.. Clinton answered with a short TD run by Thompson just before the end of the 3rd period and with the conversion failing, the score stood 14-12 in favor of the Red Devils.. After that, Chester rebounded to take the win as they held Clinton scoreless from that point…Coach Bryson was very satisfied with the effort especially in the 1st half but they just could not sustain it in a very physical ballgame.
- LDHS 9th Grade 18 - Westside 8: In action over in Anderson, the Raider 9th grade team took an 18-8 win over the Westside rams. All of the Raiders scores came through the air and Graydon Hamby tossed 2 of them.. In the 2nd period he connected with Kiante Boyd on a 10 yard scoring play and connected with him again in the 4th period again on a 10 yard score.. Toby Jackson closed out the scoring for Laurens on a 40 yard play to Raheem Johnson.. Westside’s only score came on a 30 yard pass play with about 2 minutes left in the game.
- LDHS JV 28 – Westside 12: Similar to the 9th grade, the JV team used the passing arm of Grayson Bailes to connect 4 times on scoring plays as they took a 28-12 win over Westside.. In the 1st period, Bailes hit Jacourious Sullivan on a 20 yard scoring play.. Bailes added the 2-point conversion to make the score 8-0… The Rams scored next and missed the extra point to make it 8-6.. Later Bailes & Sullivan connected on a 40 yard score to make it 14-6.. Sometime later, Bailes connected with P J Timms who rumbled 70 yards for the score.. Devon Woodruff added the 2-point conversion making it 22-6.. Bailes connected one last time with Sullivan on a 40 yard scoring play to give the raiders their last points and make the score 28-6.. Westside added their last score late in the game to make the final 28-6.. The Raiders were able to run the ball according to Coach Jason Schumpert but when the loaded the box, they were able to make the rams pay as they connected on numerous passes.
Real Radio 860 WLBG:
- Friday Night Insiders at 5:30 today
- Stan Olenick’s pre-game show The Rage at 6:05
- Live to KC Hannah Stadium at 6:36
- Kickoff with Westside at 7:30
- Stan’s Post Game Show after the game.
- Clemson football will be hosting Virginia Tech. on Saturday.. Kickoff at 12:00, pregame about 11:00
Sports Radio 1410 WPCC:
- Clinton @ Chester in important game, pregame at 6:45
- Saturday Morning Rewind live form Whitefords of Clinton at 8:00 am, Encore presentation following that.
- South Carolina at Florida, pregame starting at 2:30
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA reminds you the registration for Flag Football is open until Sunday, 10-21-12.. It is open to youth 3-14.. Registration is $45 for members and $55 for non-members.. Call the Y at 864-984-2621 for more information.
- The LDHS Cheerleaders will have the Little Raider Cheerleading Camp this coming Saturday (10-20-12) at the LDHS Auxiliary Gym.. It is open to youth 4-12 years of age… participants will have the opportunity to cheer during the 3rdperiod of the raiders game with Greenwood on 11-2-12… Cost is $30.00.. Contact Ashley Hall 864-683-3351 or Rachel Traynham 864-683-3347 for more information.
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again today and the featured speaker will be Doug Rhoads, ACC football coordinator of officials. The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at email@example.com
The local sports schedule for today includes:
- Varsity football at Chester 7:30
- Football host Westside 7:30
For Laurens Acad.:
- Crusaders host Williamsburg 7:30
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.