Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-22-12
Area Football From Last Friday Night:
- Calhoun Fall 14 – Ware Shoals 13: Ware Shoals missed the game tying extra point with a little under 25 seconds to play… Ware Shoals finishes their regular season on the road this Friday as they travel to Dixie to take on the rival Green Hornets.
- Williamsburg 51 – Laurens Academy 26: The Crusaders went toe-to-toe with the Stallions for the firsts 20 minutes or so of the game and only trailed 16-12 with about 7 minutes left in the half until mistakes by the Crusaders gave the advantage to the Stallions and they led 38-12 at the half.. Billy Rockefeller connected on 2 TD passes on the night.. One to Cole James and the other to Matthew Urwick both in the 1st half.. Calvin Mitchell accounted for the other Crusader scores.. The Crusaders have the week off before starting the playoffs.
- Chester 32 – Clinton 16: After a scoreless 1st quarter, a safety, touchdown and a pick-6 gave the Cyclones a 16-0 lead which they never relinquished.. The Red Devils did get a 1 yard touchdown run by Lavardick Glenn to make 16-6 at the half.. Glen again scored on a 2 yard run in the 3rd to cut the score to 16-12 but the ensuing onside kick was returned by Chester for a TD.. Chester added another TD and a field goal… For a more complete account of this game, see the posting at www.chsathletics.com.. Complete game statistics are available at wlbg.com in the “Between the Lines” section… Clinton travels to Woodruff this Friday for their final regular season game.
- Laurens 39 – Westside 15: The Raiders wasted little time in jumping out in front of the Rams as they led 14-0 with just over 4 minutes gone in the opening period of play.. A Westside fumble recovered by Laurens at the Raider 48 yard line later ++resulted in Roderick Talley getting the first of his 3 TDs of the night…On the next play from scrimmage for the Rams, Kalim Taylor stepped in front of a Rams receiver and intercepted the ball going 19 yards for the score and with the PAT putting the Raiders in front 14-0 and were never seriously challenged after that.. Besides Talley’s other 2 rushing TDs, Hammer Walker had a 6 yard run for a score and a tossed a 6 yard scoring pass to Ray Rice… For more details on the game, see the posting at to www.ldhsathletics.com.. Complete game statistics are available at wlbg.com in the “Between the Lines” section… Laurens travels to JL Mann this Friday for the next-to-last regular season game.
Rob Sheffield Honored: Prior to the Westside at Laurens football game on Friday, Head Wrestling Coach Rob Sheffield was presented a ring in honor of his being named Laurens School District 55 Teacher of the Year. Coach Sheffield is in his 15th year as a teacher at LDHS… See the posting in the “Between the Lines “section of wlbg.com for a photo and audio interview about Rob and this honor.
College: a look at state schools and their scores from this past weekend:
- South Carolina State 27 – Florida A&M 20 in overtime
- Wofford 38 – Appalachian State 28
- Georgia Southern 31 – Furman 21
- Clemson 38 – Virginia Tech 17
- Florida 44 – South Carolina 11
Pros: in the NFL
- Atlanta had the weekend off
- Dallas 19 – Panthers 14
- Join me Tuesday night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at JL Mann… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Wednesday, I will be broadcasting the Sanders vs. Laurens Middle School football game which will be for the Little River Championship.. The game will be at KC Hannah Stadium and kickoff is scheduled for 5:00 so join me just a couple of minutes before 5 for all the action.
- The on Thursday, we will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Hickory Tavern and Gray Court-Owens live from Hickory Tavern… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 2nd and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at email@example.com…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
The local sports schedule for today includes: none found
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.