Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-23-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The Blue Hose had a 21-13 lead at the half but could not hold it as they fell 31-21 to the Buccaneers of Charleston Southern last Saturday down on the coast… PC will be home this Saturday as they host Stony Brook in a Big South contest with kick-off slated for 1:00 pm.. Now if you would like a pair of tickets to that contest, come to the House of Pizza tonight for the Coach Greg Lawson Show and just ask me for them.. First one who ask, gets them.. In the mean time, I remind you that season tickets are on sale for PC basketball. They are $100 and get you into all regular season men’s & women’s games.. Can’t beat that deal anywhere.. Call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 for more information or to order.
Catching Up on Local sports:
- The Lady Red Devil Volleyball team starts playoff action tonight at the CHS gymnasium against West Oak at 6:00pm..The team finished 2nd in the region to Chapman and has an overall record of 14-5.. Plan on coming out and supporting coach Jo Webb and the team as they start their post season run toward the championship.
- Also today the Laurens Lady Raider Tennis team travels to Clover for a first round match with the Blue Eagles. Match time is 5:00pm.. Good luck to Coach Corley and the team.
- While I’m on the subject of the playoffs, I’ll go ahead and remind you that the Clinton Girls Tennis teams will play a 1st round playoff game this Thursday.. Clinton which finished as Region 3-AAA champ, will host Emerald at 5:00pm.
- The latest BCS rankings came out late on Sunday and they still have Alabama at # 1.. The balance of the top 5 is Florida, Kansas state, Oregon & Notre Dame.. In spots 6-10 you will find LSU, Oregon State, Oklahoma, USC & Georgia.. South Carolina fell to # 13 and Clemson made the list at # 18.
- Now over in the FCS division of college football, Eastern Washington continues to hold the # 1 spot and Georgia Southern moved from 3rd the 2nd replacing James Madison that dropped all the way to 10th.. Wofford moved up 1 spot to # 8 and Stony Brook (PC’s opponent this weekend) comes in at #9.. Appalachian State fell from 11th to 15th.
- NFL: In Monday night football, The Bears defeated the Lions 13-7 in a game that was not really that close.
- MLB: The San Francisco Giants finished their comeback from a 3 games to 1 deficit last night out on the left coast as the routed the St. Lois Cardinals 9-0.. A big 5 run 5th inning sealed the Cardinals fate as they were already trailing 2-0 going into the inning.. The World Series will start tomorrow as the Giants host the Detroit Tigers.
- Join me tonight as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at JL Mann… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
- On Wednesday, I will be broadcasting the Sanders vs. Laurens Middle School football game which will be for the Little River Championship.. The game will be at KC Hannah Stadium and kickoff is scheduled for 5:00 so join me just a couple of minutes before 5 for all the action.
- The on Thursday, we will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Hickory Tavern and Gray Court-Owens live from Hickory Tavern… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 2nd and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.