Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-24-12
Catching Up on Local sports:
- The CHS Volleyball team picked up a big win in a hard-fought match last night as they defeated West-Oak 3-2 in 1st round playoff action at the CHS Gym… As Coach Jo Webb put it “We bent but we did not break”… The Red Devils took the 1st set 22-18 than dropped the 2nd set 22-25… They rebounded and took the 3rd set 25-22 but West-Oak forced the 5th and deciding set as they took the 4th set 19-25.. Clinton took the final set 15-11… Ellie Tallman and Gabby Bates both were in double-digits with kills.. Bates was also the leading blocker for the Red Devils.. Clinton advances to the 2nd round and will take on Region 4-AAA champ Camden on Thursday at Camden… Match time is 6:00pm… Go down & support the Red Devils!
- Mean while the Laurens Lady Raider Tennis team traveled to Clover to take on the Blue Eagles in 1st round playoff action… The news was not what Raider fans like to hear as they were shutout by Clover… The Raiders battled hard and did show improvement.. See a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for details on this match… Congratulations to the Lady Raiders on a good season.
- Well by now most of you know that Matt Kenseth took the win in the Sprint Cup race out in Kansas last weekend so with that said; let’s review the standings in the Chase for the Cup with only 4 races left… The top 5 remain unchanged from last week as Brad Keselowski still leads with 2250 points and Jimmie Johnson is 2nd just 7 points behind.. Denny Hamlin is 3rd, Clint Boyer 4th & Kasey Kahne is 5th and only 30 points behind Keselowski.. Martin Truex Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth & Kevin Harvick round out the top 10.
- Good news for the Dale Earnhart Jr. fans as he has been cleared to race this weekend at the Martinsville Speedway.. Earnhart has been out of action the last 2 weeks after suffering a concussion at the Talladega Speedway… On Monday he ran 123 laps in a test session at the Gresham Motorsports Park in Georgia which was attended by his neurosurgeon… He then met with his neurosurgeon yesterday and passed all test.
- Tonight the Detroit Tigers and San Francisco Giants will meet for the 1st game of the World Series.. The game is out in San Francisco and coverage will start at 8:00pm Eastern on Fox.
- Today I will be broadcasting the Sanders vs. Laurens Middle School football game which will be for the Little River Championship.. The game will be at KC Hannah Stadium and kickoff is scheduled for 5:00 so join me just a couple of minutes before 5 for all the action.
- Tomorrow we will be broadcasting the middle school football contest between Hickory Tavern and Gray Court-Owens live from Hickory Tavern… The action starts a few minutes before 5:00.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Round 2 of the Carolina Mascot Challenge has now started and LDHS Sir Victor the Raider & the CHS Red Devil both it into the field in round 2.. Now this is a competition that you the fans vote on.. You can go to News channels 7’s website and click on sports then look to the right about ⅔ the way down for the Carolina Mascot Challenge link and click on it.. There you will find your favorite mascot of the 12 listed and vote – once per day, everyday.. Round 2 will close on Oct 24th. .. Winner gets $1500 toward a new costume.. Click on the following link to vote: www.carolinascw.com/carolina-mascot-challenge
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 2nd and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at email@example.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.