Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-29-12
Catching Up on Local sports: First let’s look at high school football results from last Friday night:
- Ware Shoals 35 – Dixie 0: The Purple Hornets defeated the rival Green Hornets 35-0 in Due west.. Ware Shoals thus punched its ticket into the Class A Division I playoffs this Friday night when they travel to Williston-Elko.
- Clinton 23 – Woodruff 22: The Red Devils traveled to Woodruff last Friday night knowing that to have any shot at making the playoffs they had to win and get some help from 2 other region teams… The Red Devils did their part as they took an exciting 23-22 win over the Wolverines.. Clinton jumped out to a 16-0 lead at the half only to see Woodruff come back and take a 22-16 lead with about 8 minutes left in the game.. The Red Devils then went on a drive that took most of the remaining time off the clock and faced a 4th and 6 from the 15 yard line.. That is when quarterback Blaine Willbanks connected with Lavardick Glenn in the endzone with 38 seconds left in the game to tie the score.. Clinton’s placekicker Truett Burns who had 2 previous PATs blocked earlier in the game, then coolly kicked the ball through the uprights to put Clinton up 23-22.. Woodruff who had struck quickly on their previous scoring plays, had the ball at their own 28 when Hunter Stewart intercepted a Woodruff pass at the 38 sealing the win for the Red Devils.. The Red Devils then had to wait and see if they would receive the help they needed from the 2 other region teams to make it into the playoffs… They did get the needed help from 1 of the 2 teams but not the 2nd so Clinton will not make the playoffs this year.. Games statistics are posted in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com… For a more complete summary of this game, see the posting at www.chsathletics.com.
- Laurens 41- JL Mann 7: The Raiders ran their record to 8-2 overall and 6-0 in the region with a 41-7 win over the JL Mann Patriots up in Greenville last Friday night.. The Raiders started a little slow on offense but the defense scored 1st when Kalim Taylor intercepted a Mann pass for a pick-six that covered 52 yard and with Matt Henderson’s PAT put the Raiders up 7-0 with 4:36 left on the clock in the 1st period… They would never trail.. Roderick Talley gained 206 yards rushing and scored 1 rushing TD and Quinn Suber had a rushing TD also.. Laurens had 3 passing TDs 2 thrown by Suber and 1 by Dusty Palmer 1.. Khalid Taylor, Markel Bolden and Hammer Walker each had a TD reception.. This win sets up a HUGE game this Friday night at KC Hannah Stadium.. The undefeated Greenwood Eagles will be the opponent in a game for the Region I-AAAA Championship.. The last time I can find a record of Laurens beating Greenwood in football is back in 1997 when Laurens won 42-14.. It’s time to change that and your presence will help so plan now to attend the game.. By the way, there is a more complete summary of the game at www.ldhssports.com and complete game statistics are available at wlbg.com in the Between the Lines section.
College: Scores from this weekend involving state schools:
- S.C. State 41 – Howard 23
- Wofford 24 - Citadel 21
- Furman 31 – Elon 17
- Stoney Brook 56 – PC 17
- South Carolina 38 – Tennessee 35
Marcus Latimore Update: Marcus Lattimore sustained a season ending injury to his right knee in the game with the Volunteers on Saturday.. This is NOT the same knee he injured last year.. The university issued this statement late yesterday afternoon which in part reads: ” University of South Carolina junior running back Marcus Lattimore suffered a significant impact to the front of his right knee during the Tennessee game on Saturday… The ensuing hyperextension of the knee resulted in injury to several ligaments… There were no fractures or additional injuries, according to team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy… Lattimore’s surgically repaired left knee was uninjured during the play…Lattimore is resting comfortably and will continue to be evaluated over the course of the week. Marcus has already begun the process of prehabilitation prior to surgery and to his eventual return to football.” I for one am glad to hear it is not as bad as had been speculated…. I was also glad to see the sportsmanship displayed by the Tennessee team and the concern exhibited by his teammates as he was attended to on the field after the injury.. I can only hope and pray that this is just a temporary setback to a fine young man who by all accounts is a great a person off the field as he is on the field..
- Atlanta 30 – Philadelphia 17: Atlanta remains the only undefeated team in the NFL
- Bears 23 – Panthers 22: The Bears kicked the winning field goal as time ran out as to complete their 4th quarter comeback as the Panthers slide continues.
- The Giants made short work of the Detroit Lions as they win the 2012 World Series last night by sweeping the Lions in 4 games.. The Giants won the 1st game in Detroit 2-0 on Saturday night then took game four 4-3 in 10 innings to win their 2nd world series in 3 years.
- Join me Tuesday night as we have the Coach Greg Lawson Show live from the House of Pizza starting at 7:30… Will be recapping last Friday night’s game, looking at middle school results, 9th grade and JV action as well is looking ahead to this Friday night’s game at JL Mann… Don’t forget the $.60 wing special at the House of Pizza from 6:00 until closing Tuesday night.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 2nd and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at email@example.com
- The 5th annual College Football fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.