Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-1-12
- Yesterday I told you that the Lady Red Devil Tennis Team had defeated BHP on Tuesday to advance to today’s Upper State Finals.. Well I know have more details on Tuesday’s match.. Taking wins in singles action were Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn & Delayna Burroughs.. In doubles action, the #1 team composed of Waldron and Mason Page Gambrell took 6-3 & 7-5 wins.. In her singles match, Vaughn went 3 sets taking her match 6-3, 3-6 & 11-9.. Congratulations to the team for taking such a close match!! They will be hosting AC Flora today at 4:30.. The winner will host the State AAA Finals this Saturday taking on the winner of the Hilton Head Island – Myrtle Beach Lower State Final being held today at Hilton Head.
- Yesterday I mentioned to you that no Red Devil or Raider football player made the North Team in this year’s North-South All-Star Game… Well I have better news about the 76th Shrine Bowl game which will be played on Saturday, December 15, 2012 in Gibbs Stadium at Wofford College in Spartanburg,.. It was announced yesterday that Michael Hill, a defensive lineman from Pendleton High, was being replaced on the South Carolina Team due to an injury.. I am very pleased to say that Martez Abrams of Laurens District 55 High School has been selected to take his place.. Since the first Shrine Bowl in 1937, over $74 million has been raised for Shriners Hospitals… The Shrine Bowl game will kick-off at 1:00 pm… Congratulations to Martez! Click on the following link for a complete roster for the South Carolina Team.
- South Carolina 2012 Shrine Bowl Roster : 76th Shrine Bowl SC Roster
Local Sports Schedule for Today:
- Laurens Academy will be having a bonfire & pep rally tonight at the football field.. All the action starts at 7:00 pm and is to show support for the Crusaders as they prepare for tomorrows 1st round playoff game with Colleton Prep down in Walterboro.
- In preparation for the Region Championship tomorrow night, Raider fans are invited to the inaugural Raider Roast at 5:30 behind the high school.. There will be a bonfire to roast and eagle along with food, games and live music.
- Unfortunately the JV & 9th grade team will not be there as they travel to Greenwood to take on the Eagles in their final game of the season..The 9th grade game starts at 5;30 and the JVs will try to complete an undefeated season about 20 minutes after the 9th grade game ends.
- WLBG will have Clemson Football Saturday as the Tigers travel to North Carolina to take on the Duke Blue Devils.. Pre-game will start about 6:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 2nd and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- Laurens high softball will begin fall softball practice on November 1, at 3:50 at the high school softball field. Practice is open to all 7th through 12th grade girls interested in playing for the school this year. You must have a completed high school physical to practice. Contact coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org…..The LDHS Softball Team is having their annual chicken stew sale, stew is $7.00 per quart and will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, November 3 at 10:00 am… You can order from a softball team member or contact Coach Clark at email@example.com
- The 5th annual College Football fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.