Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-2-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well the Blue Hose football team has the week off before they return home a week from tomorrow for their last home game of the season against Coastal Carolina.. In the meantime remember you can find out anything you want to know about PC athletics at www.gobluehose.com… There you can even find out that we are just around the corner from basketball season and that they have season tickets on sale for all home games (men’s & women’s) for just$100.000.. Call the ticket office at 833-8240 for more information.
- The CHS Girls Tennis team hosted AC Flora yesterday afternoon in the Upper State AAA finals and the Lady Red Devils fell for only the 2nd time this year as AC Flora took a 6-0 win over Clinton.. The Lady Red Devils end the season with a 12-2 overall record and were Region 3-AAA champs with a perfect 10-0 record in region play.. Delayna Burroughs, Brooke Foster, Carlee Heringa and Maggie O’Shileds were the 4 seniors listed on this year’s team.. Congratulations to the team on a great season.
- Now before I move on to other items I want to remind you that the CHS Boys Cross Country Team will be participating in the State AAA Finals tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM at the Sandhills Research Park… Go down and support the Red Devils if you can.
- LDHS JVs 32 – Greenwood 16: The Laurens JV team completed an undefeated season last night down in Greenwood as they took a 32-16 win over Greenwood… The Raiders scored on their 1st possession going 51 yards in 4 plays scoring with 5:42 left on the clock in the 1st period.. Devon woodruff carried the ball on all 4 plays scoring on a 1 yard run and adding the 2-point conversion to make it 8-0.. ON the eagles next possession they fumbled with Cameron Lowe recovering the ball at the Greenwood 42.. The Raiders could not turn this opportunity into points and 5 plays after the eagles got the ball back they again fumbled with Monte Richardson falling on the ball for the Raiders at the Eagles’ 43 yard line.. After a pass from Grayson Bailes to PJ Timms got the ball to the eagle 17 yard line, Malik Higgins carried it in 2 plays later from the 4 yard line.. After the 2 point conversion, the score stood at 16-0 Raiders with 8:50 left in the 1st half.. Greenwood then went on a 70 yard drive and scored with 4:28 left in the half to make it 16-8.. The Raiders responded with a 76 yard drive.. During the drive, Bailes connected with Timms on 2 big pass plays to get the ball to the eagles’ 2 yard line.. Austin Crocker carried it in from the 2 and Bailes made the 2-point conversion to make the score 24-8 with 1:30 left in the half.. Laurens scored for the last time with 4:07 left in the 3rd period when Bailes and Timms connected on a 40 yard scoring strike and Woodruff added the 2-point conversion to make it 32-8.. Greenwood scored early in the 4th period after a long drive and made the score 32-16.. Greenwood drove to the Laurens 5 before Buchard Ringgold intercepted an Eagle pass attempt in the endzone and returned it 102 yards for an apparent TD that was called back on a hold during the run.. Laurens then ran out the clock to go 10-0 on the season… Congratulation to them on the perfect season.
- Greenwood 9th grade 33 – Laurens 8: The 9th grade finished their season last night with the Greenwood Eagles taking a 33-8 win over the Raiders.. Greenwood scored once in the 1st period and twice in the 2nd period to take a 21-0 lead into the locker room at the half.. Greenwood scored once more in the 3rd period and again in the 4th period to take a 33-0 lead.. Laurens got on the board with 6:24 left in the game when Toby Jackson connected with Kiante Boyd on a 48 yard scoring strike.. Jackson added the 2-point conversion to make the score 33-8 in Greenwood’s favor.. Laurens was just not able to get the running game untracked and had trouble picking up 1st downs on short yardage situations on third and fourth dawns.. The 9th Grade Team finished the season with an 8-2 record.. The 9th grade Raiders end the season with an 8-2 record. Not bad, congratulations to them!
- Miami took a 30-12 win over Virginia Tech at Miami last night.
Local Sports Schedule for Today: Tickets at Valvoline, Other playoff games
- Well the big game in Laurens County tonight will be at KC Hannah Stadium as the undefeated Greenwood Eagles come to town with the Region Championship on the line.. Kickoff is at 7:30 and we want a large crowd there to cheer on the Raiders… If you can’t make it, you can catch all the action here on Real radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.. Of course we will start our football coverage with the final Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30.. One other not to help you avoid the long lines at the ticket booth tonight, Valvoline Express Care will be selling tickets all day today up to closing time.. Stop by and see Tony or Joy for your tickets and avoid that line at the stadium.
- The Raiders have made the playoffs no matter the outcome of the game tonight.. However, the opponent and location of next weeks game will not be known until about noon tomorrow.. Of course I will have that information in the sports report next Monday but if you can’t wait, check wlbg.com starting after noon on Saturday and as soon as I get the information I will have a posting on the website.. I will also tweet it.. Look for Mike Hughes @AM860Mike.
Other Area Playoff Games Tonight:
- Indian Land @ Newberry
- Union County @ Wren
- Emerald @ Chester
- BHP @ woodruff
- Ware Shoals @ Williston-Elko
- Laurens Academy @ Colleton Prep
- WLBG will have Clemson Football Saturday as the Tigers travel to North Carolina to take on the Duke Blue Devils.. Pre-game will start about 6:30.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meets again today and the featured speaker will be Shell Dulla executive director of the SC Athletic Coaches Association and long time area football coach… The area coaches will also be there talking about games the past couple of week and bringing selected players… The meeting starts at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The 5th annual College Football Fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.