Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-5-12
Greenwood 24-Laurens 7:
- The Laurens Raiders and the Greenwood Eagles hooked up in contest last Friday night that had all the feel of a playoff game as they battled for the Region 1-AAAA Championship at KC Hannah Stadium.. Un fortunately for the Raiders, Greenwood continued their winning streak over the Raiders and finished their regular season 11-0 as they took a 24-7 win over Laurens.. Greenwood scored 1st to take a 7-0 lead and appeared ready to score again on their next possession but the Laurens defense lead by Tevin Barksdale stripped the Greenwood receiver as the Raiders recovered at their own 2 yard line..Just before the end of the 1st period, Quadre Smith intercepted a Greenwood pass giving Laurens the ball at the Greenwood 30 yard line.. 7 plays later Roderick Talley scored from 14 yards out and with Matt Henderson’s PAT the score was tied 7-7 with 9:35 left in the half… Greenwood scored again with about 2 minutes left in the half making the score 14-7.. Laurens had a pass intercepted on their next possession and returned to the Laurens 4 yard line.. The Raiders defense kept the eagles out of the end zone forcing them to kick a 22 yard field goal with 17 seconds left in the half making it 17-7 in Greenwood’s favor.. Neither team managed a score in the 3rd period and Greenwood’s last score came in the 4th period with 8:51 left in the game making the final score 24-7.. The Laurens defense played well enough to win and Kevin Dean had a good night punting as he pinned Greenwood back inside the 20 at least twice and one of those being at their own 1 yard line…
- For complete game statistics see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.. It even has some year-to-date statistics.. For a more complete detail account of the game, see the posting at www.ldhssports.com.
- The season is not over for the Raiders they have a #7 seed and will be hosting #10 seeded York Cougars in the 1st round of the Class AAAA Division II Playoffs… The winner of the Laurens – York game will take on the winner of the #15 seeded Cane Bay at #2 seeded South Pointe game… The highest seeded team will host that game… I’ll try to bring you more information on the Cougars as the week goes by.
Other Area High School Football Scores:
- Colleton Prep 49 – Laurens Academy 20: The crusaders finished their season with a 1st round playoff loss as Colleton Prep defeated them 49-20.. Billy Rockefeller had 1 rushing TD and passed for 2 other scores both to Matthew Urick.. The Crusaders finished their season with a 3-7 record.
- Ware Shoals 42 – Williston-Elko 35: The Hornets will travel to Lamar this Friday night in 2nd round playoff action.
- BHP 63 – Woodruff 56: BHP travels to AC Flora this Friday night in 2nd round playoff action.
Clinton Cross Country Team:
- The CHS cross country team finished 9th on Saturday in the State AAA Cross Country Meet in Columbia.. Considering there were 24 team in the competition that is not bad.. Chris Patterson had the best time for Clinton completing the course in 17:23.52….. The team won the Region 3-AAA Championship this year as they were unbeaten in region completion.. The team will return 6 of 7 runners next year with Aaron Dover being the only senior.. Now I have comments from Coach Atkinson and more detailed results as well as photos in a posting in the Between the Lines area of wlbg.com.
State College Football Scores:
- Samford 24 – Wofford 17 in 2 overtimes
- Citadel 38 – Elon 24:
- Clemson 56 – Duke 20
- Clemson will host Maryland in a homecoming contest with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Arkansas in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at 11:00am.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 16th and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The 5th annual College Football fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be this Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.