Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report:
Local sports: none noted around the area yesterday
- Marcus Latimore is back in Columbia recovering from his first knee surgery last Friday… Coach Steve Spurrier said earlier this week that they expect him to be at the game in Columbia this Saturday… They are placing his name on one of the walls at the stadium because his new USC record in most touchdowns scored in a career (41) and most rushing touchdowns (38).. Why do I think that the loudest ovation at the game (win or lose) will be when he is recognized for that achievement?
- With 2 races to go in the season let’s take a look at the point standings for the Sprint Cup Series… Jimmie Johnson has 2339 points which is just 7 points ahead of Brad Keselowski who holds down the 2nd spot… Rounding out the top 5 are Clint Bowyer 36 points back, Kasey Kahne 58 points back and Matt Kenseth 72 points back.. The 6th thru 10th spots are held by Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart, Martin Truex Jr. & Greg Biffle.. Of course the race this weekend is Sunday out at the Phoenix International Speedway.
Notes about the York Cougars:
- I had already mentioned that York enters the contest 9-2 overall and 5-2 in Region 3-AAAA play.. They finished 3rd in their region behind Northwestern and South Pointe.. Their 2 losses were to Nation Ford 17-20 in overtime and to Northwestern 21-23.. They are averaging 36 points per game while allowing only 10…The Raiders on the other hand are averaging 28 points while allowing 17
- Now information I have not given you before… They are averaging 98.9 yards rushing per game with the leading rusher being # 21 running back Ryan Moore.. He is averaging about 15 carries and 80 yards per game.. He has rushed for 11 TDs rushing and added another as a receiver.
- York averages 212 yards per game passing giving them an average of 310 yards of total offense per game… Their leading passer is senior QB # 11 Spencer Carroll (the head coach’s son) who has completed 197 of 325 attempts with 24 TDs and 11 interceptions… That is an average of 17.9 pass completions per game for 201.9 yards and 2.2 TDs per game.
- His leading receiver is # 1 Daurice Simpson who is averaging 4.3 catches per game for 10.1 yards per catch and has 4 TDs receiving on the year… #10 Tay Neely only averages 2.5 catches per game but his are longer catches than Simpson’s at an average of 19 yards per catch and has 6 TD catches… York also has 2 other receivers averaging 3 or more catches per game with at least 4 TDs so they do spread it around.
Note About Admission to all Playoff Games from LDHS:
LDHS will host a first-round South Carolina High School League playoff football game against York this Friday night, November 9…. We are so appreciative of the support our district employees and Century Club Members have provided our team this season. Our stands have been full and loud–just the way we like it….
Unfortunately, the South Carolina High School League does not allow schools to admit employees into the game free of charge… Century Club members will also be required to pay for admission… The only passes honored are those issued by the SC High School League itself… Century Club parking, however, will be honored even though there will be no reserved seating…Admission to the game is also set by the High School League and will be $7.00….We value your support and hope you will see fit to come be with us on Friday evening…GO RAIDERS!.
- WLBG will carry the 1st round playoff game between the York Cougars and our Laurens Raiders.. You can catch pre-game action starting about 6:40 Friday night and the kickoff is scheduled for 7:30.. Remember we will stream live at wlbg.com. There will be no Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30.
- Clemson will host Maryland in a homecoming contest with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Arkansas in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at 11:00am.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 16th and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The 5th annual College Football Fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be this Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. And cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.