Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-7-12
- Jordan Downing scored 18 points, while Khalid Mutakabbir and Josh Clyburn added 17 and 14 points respectively, as the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team hung on to take a 71-66 win over Erskine in exhibition action this evening at the Templeton Center.. After trailing the entire first half, Erskine started the second half with a 5-0 run to take a two-point lead with 16:49 remaining. Downing’s basket at 16:32 tied the game, with the Blue Hose retaking the lead off a three-pointer by Mac Lake at the 14:37 mark… PC opens the regular season at Clemson Monday, Nov. 12 at 7 p.m.
- Videos from the last Friday’s Laurens County Touchdown Club meeting are now available in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.. Not only will you find comments from the local coaches but also the comments from Lauren native Shell Dulla a former high school football coach who won state championships at 3 different schools at three different levels.
- For those of you who listened to the Friday Night Insiders program each week during the football season, I’ll give you the final tally on how the football picks contest between Elmo, Randy, Shaun and myself came out.. Shauna finished last with a season record of 90-51 while Randy finished third with a 95-45 record.. Elmo and I entered the last week tied and I have to report that he got 1 more game correct than I did so he won with a record of 99-42 while I came in 2nd with a record of 98-43.. Guess we will have to listen to him crow about that for the next 9 months.
- With 2 races to go in the season let’s take a look at the point standings for the Sprint Cup Series… Jimmie Johnson has 2339 points which is just 7 points ahead of Brad Keselowski who holds down the 2nd spot… Rounding out the top 5 are Clint Bowyer 36 points back, Kasey Kahne 58 points back and Matt Kenseth 72 points back.. The 6th thru 10th spots are held by Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart, Martin Truex Jr. & Greg Biffle.. Of course the race this weekend is Sunday out at the Phoenix International Speedway.
Note About Admission to all Playoff Games from LDHS:
LDHS will host a first-round South Carolina High School League playoff football game against York this Friday night, November 9…. We are so appreciative of the support our district employees and Century Club Members have provided our team this season. Our stands have been full and loud–just the way we like it….
Unfortunately, the South Carolina High School League does not allow schools to admit employees into the game free of charge… Century Club members will also be required to pay for admission… The only passes honored are those issued by the SC High School League itself… Century Club parking, however, will be honored even though there will be no reserved seating…Admission to the game is also set by the High School League and will be $7.00….We value your support and hope you will see fit to come be with us on Friday evening…GO RAIDERS!
- WLBG will carry the 1st round playoff game between the York Cougars and our Laurens Raiders.. You can catch pre-game action starting about 6:40 Friday night and the kickoff is scheduled for 7:30.. Remember we will stream live at wlbg.com. There will be no Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30.
- Clemson will host Maryland in a homecoming contest with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Arkansas in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at 11:00am.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 16th and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The 5th annual College Football fan Challenge Oyster Roast will be this Thursday November 8th… Tickets are $35 and the numbers are limited and the likely hood of sell out is high.. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce at 864-833-2716 or see the posting in the between the lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.