Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-13-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. On Sunday afternoon PC Women’s Basketball team defeated Clemson 49-46 on a 3-point shot by Dria David as the buzzer sounded… David also had a game-high 19 points to lead the Blue Hose.. Former LDHS player Shonda Burnsides had 6 points, 6 rebounds, a blocked shot and a game high 4 assists… That makes the PC women 1-0 on the young season.. The PC Men’s team started their season last night as they also took on Clemson.. Unfortunately they were not as successful as the women on Sunday as Clemson also opened their season with a with a 77-44 victory over PC.. Joshua Clyburn led PC with 19 points while Clemson’s Milton Jennings led the Tigers with 15 points… The 1st PC home game is next Monday, November 19th so you still have time to get your season tickets.. Just $100 gets you into all men’s & women’s games.. Call the ticket office at 833-8240 for more information.
Several area teams had players had honors bestowed on them after this past Saturday’s game..
- Presbyterian College punter Stephen Doar (Landrum, S.C.) is Big South Freshman of the Week… Doar came off the bench to make his collegiate debut against Coastal Carolina this past Saturday and punted five times for an average of 48.0 yards in a reserve role…Three of his kicks went for 50 yards, including a long of 60, and he placed one inside the 20-yard line… Coastal returned just two of his punts for six yards.
- University of South Carolina senior defensive back D.J. Swearinger was named the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week… Swearinger, a 6-0, 210-pounder from Greenwood, S.C., totaled a career-best 13 tackles (10 solo), including one for a loss, and added one interception which he returned 69 yards for a touchdown as the 12th-ranked Gamecocks defeated Arkansas, 38-20. Swearinger added one quarterback hurry. Swearinger shared the award with LSU’s Craig Loston.
With #1 Alabama’s 24-29 loss to Texas A&M last Saturday there is a shake-up in the rankings so last take a look at them:
- Associated Press: The top 3 teams each moved up 1 spot from their previous position last week.. Oregon checks in as # 1 followed by Kansas State, & Notre Dame.. Alabama fell to 4th and Georgia remains at 5th.. Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M & Florida State round out the top 10.. Clemson is 11th and South Carolina 12th.
- BCS Poll: There are some differences in the BCS Poll as Kansas State holds the top spot there with Oregon 2nd (reversed from the A.P.). Notre Dame, Alabama & Georgia round out the top 5 same as the A.P. .. Florida, LSU, Texas A&M, South Carolina and Florida State round out the top 10.. Clemson is 11th in the BCS.
FCS Rankings: North Dakota State jumped to #1 in the FCS rankings this week.. Georgia Southern is #7, Appalachian State #12 and Wofford #13.
NFL: Monday Night Football:
- Pittsburg Steelers 16 – Kansas City Chiefs 13 in overtime.
- Clemson will host NC State this coming Saturday with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Wofford in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at noon with kickoff at 1:00pm.
FYI / Community Interest:
- CHS will have a Meet the Devils night on Thursday November 15th. All CHS basketball teams as well as the Bell Street team will be introduced. We encourage our elementary students to come and shoot baskets with the Red Devils. We will introduce all of our Teams and the community will get an opportunity to see our Red Devils in action with a short team scrimmage. Ceremonies will start at 6:00 pm.
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 16th and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.