Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-14-12
- Well I kind of waited on talking about NASCAR until the dust settled from all the “extracurricular activities” both during and after the race last Sunday out in Phoenix.. Most NASCAR fans know that Jeff Gordon & Clint Bowyer are not exactly “the best of friends” as they have had run-ins over the years… During last Sunday’s race Gordon thought Bowyer caused him to go in the wall hurting his chances to win the race so Gordon wrecked Bowyer late in the race.. After the race the respective pit crews got into a tussle and Bowyer went looking for Gordon.. Oh well, you get the idea.. For his part, Gordon was fined $100,00, docked 25 driver points and but on probation until Dec. 31st (big deal with 1 race to go)… There were some other penalties handed out to others…I think they need to have a big vacant warehouse with a wrestling ring at each track and let the drives and the crews get in there and have a no-holds-barred wrestling match to decide such “disputes”.. Think of the money they could make on a pay-per-view of it.
- By the way, Brad Keselowski was also fined $25,00 and put on probation until Dec.31st (no driver points since he is leading and did not slug or wreck someone) for having a cell phone in his car.. He was tweeting from his car.. That is a no-no!!
- The last race in the NASCAR season is this Sunday down in Homestead, Fl. and going into it we have a new leader in the Sprint Cup Driver Points Standing.. After Jimmie Johnson wrecked late in the race last weekend, Brad Keselowski finds himself in the lead 20 points ahead of Johnson in the chase for the cup.. Kasey Kahne is 50 points back, Clint Bowyer 52 and Denny Hamlin 62 back.. I think all Keselowski only has to finish 15th or better to win the cup this weekend.
- PC’s Men’s basketball team travels to Atlanta tonight for a 7:00 pm contest with Georgia Tech..
Condolences and Sympathy to: Buddy Bridges (the Voice of the Red Devils) and his family on the death of his mother Lillie Mae Bridges who passed away last Sunday.. Funeral services will be today at 3:00pm at the First Baptist Church of Joanna.. The family will receive friends from 1:00 to 3:00 at the church before the service.
- Clemson will host NC State this coming Saturday with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Wofford in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at noon with kickoff at 1:00pm.
FYI / Community Interest:
- CHS will have a Meet the Devils night on Thursday November 15th. All CHS basketball teams as well as the Bell Street team will be introduced. We encourage our elementary students to come and shoot baskets with the Red Devils. We will introduce all of our Teams and the community will get an opportunity to see our Red Devils in action with a short team scrimmage. Ceremonies will start at 6:00 pm.
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again on Friday, Nov. 16th and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.