Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-16-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The Blue Hose close out the football season with a road trip to Boiling Springs, NC to take on the Running Bulldogs of Gardner Webb.. Both teams have a 2-8 record on the season and look to close out their season on a winning note.. Gardner Webb is where Coach Nichols picked up his 1st win at PC as a head coach a couple of years back and took a 28-14 win last year.. If you can’t make the short trip up to Gardner Webb, you can catch Eric Thacker with the call of the game on WKRI i91.9 FM.. Pre-game show should start about 12:30 with kickoff scheduled for 1:30.
- Last night CHS hosted a Meet the Devils night where all the Bell Street basketball teams as well as JV & varsity CHS teams were introduced… Fans had the opportunity to shoot some hoop with the varsity teams and that was very much enjoyed by numerous elementary age youth in attendance.. Afterwards both the girls and boys varsity teams had a short live scrimmage.. If the boys varsity team attempts as many dunks as they did last night in the scrimmage, the fans will be in for a treat… The girls start their season next Monday in a pre-season tournament @ BHP.. They will play St. Joseph’s at 6:00 pm.
High School Football Playoff Schedule for Tonight: teams with local area or members of Clinton or Laurens region
- 4-A-Div. I: Spartanburg @ Byrnes
- 4-A-Div.II: York @ South Pointe & North Augusta @ Greenwood
- 3-A: Chester @ Daniel & Union County @ AC Flora
- 2-A Div. I: Newberry @ Central
- 2-A Div. II: Chesterfield @ Abbeville
- 1-A Div. I: Ware Shoals @ Christ Church for Upper State Championship
- 1-A Div. II: Hunter-Kinard-Tyler @ McCormick for Upper State Championship
- In action last night, North Carolina defeated Virginia 37-13
College Basketball Schedule
- Tonight : Rider @ South Carolina 7:00 pm
- Tonight: Clemson @ Furman 7:00 pm
- Saturday: PC women at Duke 7:00 pm
- Sunday: PC vs. Creighton at Omaha 3:00 pm
- Sunday: Clemson women @ South Carolina
- Clemson will host NC State this coming Saturday with kickoff slated for 3:30 pm.. You can catch all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting with the pre-game show starting at 2:30 pm.
- Meanwhile over on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC you can catch all the action when South Carolina host Wofford in a noon contest.. Join Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs as the pre-game starts at noon with kickoff at 1:00pm.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet again today and the featured speakers will be Pete Yanity Voice of the Clemson Tigers and Todd Ellis Voice of the South Carolina Gamecocks… This should be a very interesting meeting which will start at noon and will be held at Lakeside Country Club.. It’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. .. By the way, check the “Between the Lines” section at wlbg.com for video of earlier meetings.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com .
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.