Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-20-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. PC’s football season ended last Saturday with a 21-15 loss to Gardner Webb… PC scored the last 13 points of the game but the rally came up short.. PC finishes the season 2-9 overall and 0-6 in Big South action.. Attention now turns to the PC basketball teams and the Lady Blue Hose opened their home schedule last night with a 62-50 win over Southern Wesleyan which evens their season record at 2-2.. The Lady Blue Hose will be back in action tonight at home as they host SC State in a 7:00pm contest.
Local sports: local basketball scores
- The Lady Crusaders took a 28-14 win over the Coastal Christian Cougars down in Mt. Pleasant to win their 1st game of the season… They led 12-4 at the half and 17-7 at the start of the 4th period..
- In boys action, the Crusaders came from behind to take a 43-40 win in their 1st game of the season.. They trailed 24-13 at the half and 36-30 entering the final period.. Sorry I do not have any other details on these contests.
- The CHS Lady Red Devils opened their season with a 35-28 win over St. Joseph’s in tournament play at BHP.. They led 15-14 at the half despite not shooting well from the floor and typical first game problems.. The Lady Red Devils did play pretty good defense though… Ellie Tallman and Kiley Frazier each had 9 points to lead Clinton in scoring with Gabby Bates chipping in 6.. Clinton will face BHP in the final game of the tournament tonight at 7:30 at BHP
- The Laurens Raiders opened their season with a 73-64 overtime win over Wren in the SCA Invitational in Spartanburg last night.. Wren led 43-35 at the end of the 3rd period but the raiders outscored them 19-11 in the final period and outscored Wren by 9 points in the final 3 minutes of the 4th period… Laurens started the overtime putting 10 unanswered points on the score board before Wren could score and worked the clock the rest of the way for the win.. Crishawn Guest led the Raiders with 27 points 11 of which came in the overtime where he went 6-6 from the charity stripe.. Other Raiders in double-digit scoring were Dra Cunningham with 14 and Tyrez Young 12.. The Raiders will be back in action tonight in the SCA Invitational taking on the winner of last night’s SCA – Dorman contest at 8:30
- The news was not quite as good as the Lady Raiders lost their first game of the season to Dorman 38-77 in tournament action.. They will play Boiling Springs at 6:00 pm tonight over at Dorman.
- South Carolina’s men’s basketball team goes to 3-0 on the season with an 88-76 win over Rider in Columbia last night.
- The University of Maryland announced yesterday that it is leaving the ACC and heading to the Big 10.. The buy-out they owe the ACC is 50 million dollars.. Syracuse is expected to announce a similar move today.
- In Monday night football, San Francisco defeated Chicago 32-7 out on the left coast last night.
- I am looking for your best Carolina – Clemson this week.. We plan on taking the 10 best of them and using them in the top 10 on Randy’s show Friday morning.. You can email your jokes to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll post them up on Friday and give you credit if you give me your name.. If I get the joke from more than 1 person, 1st one gets credit.. Only those jokes that are in “good taste” will make the list as we are a family oriented station.. I do admit they push the limit on Good Morning Upcountry some days.. Get them to me by 5:00pm on Thursday.
Local Sports Schedule:
- The Laurens County middle school basketball teams will get together tonight in a pre-season jamboree tonight up at Hickory Tavern Middle School.. Each of the teams will play one half of basketball games.. The action starts at 5:00 with Sanders vs. Gray Court-Owens in girls action.. About 5:30 LMS vs. HT also a girl’s game.. Then the boys will play the last 2 halves with Sanders vs. Gray Court about 6:00 and finally LMS vs. HT about 6:30.. Come out and get your 1st look at the teams this season.
- Well I think that everyone around here know that this “The” week that Carolina and Clemson football fans look forward to since the day after they the 2 teams meet last year.. This Saturday Clemson will host South Carolina in a 7:00 pm contest televised on ESPN.. What you need to do if you are a Clemson fan is turn down the TV sound tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG to listen to Pete Yanity for his call of the game while Gamecocks fans can listen to Sports Radio 1410 WPCC for Todd Ellis and his call of the game.. Both stations will start pre-game coverage at 6:00 pm.. Go Gamecocks!!
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.