Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-22-12
- The only action in local sports yesterday that I could find was a game involving the LDHS Raider basketball team.. They finished their participation in the SCA Invitational by defeating Byrnes 62-57 to earn a third place finish in the tournament… Laurens did not have an easy game as they trailed throughout the game coming back from 12 down late in the 3rd period to go up 10 in the 4th and hang on for the win.. They did this by going on a 14-0 run that spanned the last two periods and outscored Byrnes 22-11 in the final period.. Dra Cunningham led Laurens with 21 points while Tyrez Young added 17 and Crishawn Guest 11… Laurens now stands 2-1 on the season and will travel to Clinton next Tuesday to take on the Red Devils in a girls – boys doubleheader that starts at 6:00pm.. One final note on the SCA Invitational, it was won by Irmo with Dorman finishing 2nd and as I said earlier Laurens 3rd
- I am looking for your best Carolina – Clemson this week.. We plan on taking the 10 best of them and using them in the top 10 on Randy’s show in the morning.. You can email your jokes to email@example.com. I’ll post them up on Friday and give you credit if you give me your name.. If I get the joke from more than 1 person, 1st one gets credit.. Only those jokes that are in “good taste” will make the list as we are a family oriented station.. I do admit they push the limit on Good Morning Upcountry some days.. Get them to me by 5:00pm on Thursday.
- Well I think that everyone around here know that this “The” week that Carolina and Clemson football fans look forward to since the day after they the 2 teams meet last year.. This Saturday Clemson will host South Carolina in a 7:00 pm contest televised on ESPN.. What you need to do if you are a Clemson fan is turn down the TV sound tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG to listen to Pete Yanity for his call of the game while Gamecocks fans can listen to Sports Radio 1410 WPCC for Todd Ellis and his call of the game.. Both stations will start pre-game coverage at 6:00 pm.. Go Gamecocks!!
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.