Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-21-12
A middle school basketball jamboree was held last night up at Hickory Tavern Middle School where the participant each played one half of basketball.. The results were
- Girls : Sanders 6 – Gray Court-Owens 0: Bre Bates, CJ Ginn & Keny-Ja Spurgeon each had 2 points for Sanders
- Girls: Hickory Tavern 18 – Laurens Middle 15: Mattie Cantrell of HT led all scorers with 13 while Tmeisho Garlington led LMS with 4 and Morgan Williams had 3
- Boys: Gray Court Owens 21 – Sanders 20: GCO’s Brandon Gallamore led all scorers with 11 and his teammate Josh Green added 6.. Summie Carlay led Sanders with 6 and Josh Green had 5
- Boys: Laurens Middle 29 – Hickory Tavern 3: LMS 2 leading scorers were Braylin McBeth and Tyzay Hill who both had 6 points.. Jason Johnson had 2 of HT’s 3 points.
High School Scores:
- Girls; BHP 46 – Clinton 40: Clinton and BHP got together in the final game of the pre-season tournament last night up at BHP and the Bears took a 46-40 win over the Lady Red Devils.. The main difference in the game was the number of fouls committed by the Red Devils and by that I mean: too many.. BHP had only 11 baskets from the floor but went 24-35 from the free throw line.. Gabby Bates led the Clinton with 16 points.. The team is now 1-1 on the young season.
- Girls: Laurens 55 – Boiling Springs 17: After Monday night’s loss to Dorman, the Laurens Lady Raider Basketball team rebounded and defeated Boiling Springs 55-17 last night.. Laurens jumped out to a 14-5 lead at the end of the 1st period and never looked back.. Coach Travis Langford substituted freely in the 2nd half and his bench played the last 10 minutes of the game… Coach Langford commented that they still missed too many shots in close.. Marry Anna Moore had 14 points to lead Laurens while Maleaka Neal added 12.. Others scoring for Laurens were: Kela Daniels 7, Amber Anderson 6, Terak 6, Shekiya Burnside 4 while Bre Nance, Kalaha Gary & Nasia Owens all had 2…The Lady Raiders are now 1-1 on the season
- Boys: Dorman 74 – Laurens 42: Sorry but no details on this game. The Raiders are now 1-1 on the season also… The Raiders will be back in action at 3:00 today as they take on a tough Byrnes team for 3rd place in the SCA Invitational… By the way, The CHS & LDHS will have their first matchup of the season as Laurens travels to Clinton next Tuesday in basketball action.
- Yesterday Syracuse did announce that they are joining Maryland in their switching over to the Big 10.
- College basketball scores from yesterday:
- SC State defeated PC 60-55 in women’s action in Clinton
- #24 Wisconsin defeated PC 88-43 out in Madison Wisconsin.
- I am looking for your best Carolina – Clemson this week.. We plan on taking the 10 best of them and using them in the top 10 on Randy’s show Friday morning.. You can email your jokes to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll post them up on Friday and give you credit if you give me your name.. If I get the joke from more than 1 person, 1st one gets credit.. Only those jokes that are in “good taste” will make the list as we are a family oriented station.. I do admit they push the limit on Good Morning Upcountry some days.. Get them to me by 5:00pm on Thursday.
- Well I think that everyone around here know that this “The” week that Carolina and Clemson football fans look forward to since the day after they the 2 teams meet last year.. This Saturday Clemson will host South Carolina in a 7:00 pm contest televised on ESPN.. What you need to do if you are a Clemson fan is turn down the TV sound tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG to listen to Pete Yanity for his call of the game while Gamecocks fans can listen to Sports Radio 1410 WPCC for Todd Ellis and his call of the game.. Both stations will start pre-game coverage at 6:00 pm.. Go Gamecocks!!
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.