Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-23-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The PC women’s basketball team stands 2-3 on the young season and will face NC Central in Durham tomorrow at 3:00 pm.. The men’s basketball team is still looking for its 1st win of the season as they have lost 4 times all to quality teams.. The Blue Hose are out in Las Vegas for games against Cornell today at 4;30 and either Longwood or Florida A&M tomorrow at either 3:00 or 5:30 pm.. All the men’s games from Vegas can be heard on WKRI i91.9
High School Notes:
The high school football playoffs are winding down with some championship games taking place this weekend… Let’s look and see what is on tap:
- Class A Div. II: McCormick and Cross will play for the state championship at 3:00 pm tomorrow at Benedict College in Columbia
- Class A Div. I: Christ Church and Johnsonville will play for the championship at noon at Benedict College.
- Class AA Div. II: Chesnee will host Abbeville for the upper state championship.
- Class AA Div. I: Fairfield Central host Newberry for the upper state championship.
- Class AAA: Daniel will host Union County for the upper state championship.
- Class AAAA Div. II: Northwester host Bluffton in one semifinal while South Pointe hosts Greenwood in the other.
- Class AAAA Div. I: Gaffney host Byrnes in one semifinal while Dutch Fork hosts White Knoll in the other.
You’ll note that Goose Creek is not in there as they were again kicked out of the playoffs by the SCHSL on Monday and a Federal judge declined to issue an injunction against the SCHSL yesterday.
Some big college games on tap for this weekend are:
- #1 Notre Dame @ USC
- Auburn at #2 Alabama
- Georgia Tech @ #3 Georgia
- #20 Michigan @ #4 Ohio State
- #5 Oregon @ #16 Oregon St.
- #6 Florida @ #10 Florida State
- #11 Stanford @ #15 UCLA
- #13 South Carolina (culture) @ #12 Clemson (agriculture aka Pickens County A&M)
- Well I think that everyone around here know that this “The” week that Carolina and Clemson football fans look forward to since the day after they the 2 teams meet last year.. This Saturday Clemson will host South Carolina in a 7:00 pm contest televised on ESPN.. What you need to do if you are a Clemson fan is turn down the TV sound tune into Real Radio 860 WLBG to listen to Pete Yanity for his call of the game while Gamecocks fans can listen to Sports Radio 1410 WPCC for Todd Ellis and his call of the game.. Both stations will start pre-game coverage at 6:00 pm.. Go Gamecocks!!
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.