Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-27-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The PC Men’s basketball team finally get to come home to friendly confines of the Templeton Center as they host Toccoa Falls at 7:00 in their first home game of the season.. The Blue Hose are still looking for their 1st win of the season and tonight looks like a good prospect for that.. Also the women’s team will be at home tomorrow night in action against Charleston Southern with the tipoff also scheduled for 7:00 in that contest also.
JV Basketball: The Clinton Red Devil JV teams traveled to Laurens to take on the Raiders and the Raiders took victories in both the boys and girls games over the Red Devils in what was the 1st games of the season for all 4 teams..
- JV Girls: Laurens 22 – Clinton 9… Clinton led 3-2 at the end of the 1st period but Laurens shut them down in the 2nd period while scoring 7 to take a 9-3 lead into the locker room at the half and Clinton could never get their offense in gear after that.. Both coaches said that you could tell it was the 1st game as both teams were a little ragged.. Laurens’ Keandre Griffin led all scorers with 7 points.. also scoring for Laurens were; Vanessa Cathy with 6, Jessica Johnson with 5 while Alexis Long & Kela Cofield each had 2… Cassie Nichols scored 5 to lead the Red Devils.. DeNashia Floyd and Cynthia McHam each had 2 points.
- JV Boys: Laurens 41 – Clinton 16.. Both teams were nervous in their 1st game of the season and played to a 6-6 tie at the end of 1 period of play.. Laurens put 15 points on the board in the 2nd period to Clinton’s 3 to take the lead and never trailed again in the game.. The Raiders’ Toby Jackson led all scorers with 9 points. Others scoring for Laurens were Chris Statom – 7, LaJune Jones – 6, Kezario Whitmore -5, Kiante Boyd & Jordan Sargent 4 each, Kion Ligon & Nick Harvey 2 each and Malik Donald – 1… The leading scorer for the Red Devils was Harrison Fisher with 6.. Others scoring for the Red Devils were: Jasper Fuller & George Rice who had 3 points each while Nate Martin and Vee Thompson had 2 each..
Varsity Basketball: Clinton traveled to Blue Ridge last night and the results were:
- Girls: Blue Ridge 72 – Clinton 33.. Blue Ridge’s defensive pressure gave the Red Devils problems all night and they just could not get their offense on track.. Ellie Tallman led the red devils with 17 points and 8 rebounds… I understand that Kiley Frazier may have reinjured her knee… I hope and pray it is not serious as hard as that young lady worked to overcome the injury that occurred after last season was over.
- Boys: Clinton 62 – Blue Ridge 59… Not a lot of details here other than Nike Davis led Clinton with 16 points and Tay Cook was in double-digits with 14.
Now the Laurens varsity basketball teams will travel to Clinton tonight for round 1 of their annual 2 game series… The girls are scheduled to tipoff at 6:00 and the boys about 7:30.. While I will not be broadcasting the games I do plan on going and will tweet the scores at the end of each period.. If you have twitter and want to follow, look for Mike Hughes @ AM860Mike.
Monday Night Football:
- The Carolina Panthers took a 30-22 win over the Eagles in Philadelphia last night… Carolina trailed 22-21 starting the 4th period but scored 9 unanswered points to take the win.. Cam Newton passed for 2 TDs and rushed for 2 TDs.
Local Sports Schedule:
- 11/27 V. Basketball host Laurens 6:00
- Wrestling @ Byrnes 5:30
- V. Basketball @ Clinton 6:00 / 7:30
- Mid. School Basketball @ Cambridge 4:00 / 5:00
- Men’s Basketball host Toccoa Falls 7:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.