Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-28-12
Local sports: Well most of the local sports last night centered around the basketball games at CHS where they hosted Laurens in varsity basketball action..
- Girls: Clinton 40 – Laurens 30… The Lady Raiders jumped out to a 14-3 score at the end of the 1st period but were outscored by the Lady Red Devils in the 2nd period 12-2 making the score 16-15 at the half with Laurens holding a slim 1 point lead.. Laurens simply committed too many fouls and had too many turnovers in the 2nd period… Clinton took the lead early in the 3rd period and lead 25-22 going into the last period of play.. Laurens did make a run early in the 4th period and took a 1 point lead as the score stood 26-25 in the raiders favor with 6:26 left to play but Clinton scored on their next possession and never trailed again.. After the game Laurens Coach Travis Langford stated that we just lost our rhythm in the 2nd period and committed way too many fouls… Clinton Coach Chris Wofford said that after the 1st period they stepped up the pressure on Laurens especially inside to try to force the Raiders away from the inside game…..Maryanna Moore was the leading scorer for Laurens and high scorer in the game with 10 points… Others scoring for Laurens were: Maleaka Neal -7, Shaniqua Brown – 6, Kalah Gary – 3 and 2 points each for Jadasia Bennett and Amber Anderson… Clinton’s was led in scoring by Ellie Tallman and Trevoria Dendy who both had 9 points.. Others scoring for the Red Devils were: Queenera Cunningham – 8, Indya Kinard – 6, KT Speaks – 3, Gabby Bates and Tamie Sanders each had 2 and Norlia Leake added 1… The Lady Raiders are now 1-2 on the season while the Lady Devils are 2-2
- Boys: Laurens 55 – Clinton 38… Both teams pretty much traded baskets in the 1st period as the score was 12-11 with the Raiders on top going into the 2nd period but that is when the Raiders began their dominance on the boards and led 30-20 at the half.. Laurens seemed to have control of both the offensive and defensive boards and out rebounded the Red Devils the rest of the night.. The 3rd period was pretty even but Laurens took advantage of Clinton turnovers and pulled away for the win.. Clinton Coach Todd Frazier said that Clinton simply lost the battle of turnovers, rebounds and free throw shooting to Laurens.. The Red Devils only shot 24% from the free throw line to Laurens 52% and committed almost twice as many turnovers as the Raiders…. He stated I liked the shot selection but feel like we should have driven inside more.. Laurens Coach Mark Freeze was pleased with the team’s effort but said that they still played ragged at times… He was pleased with the rebounding effort for the most part but still wants them to better from the free throw line.. Laurens Chrishawn Guest led all scorers with 18 points.. The Raiders had 2 other players scoring in double-digits as Davon Boyce and Dra Cunningham both had 12 points each.. Others scoring for Laurens were; Quinton Billups – 5, Tyrez Young – 4, and Michael Boyce & Jacob Freeze who both had 2 points each.. Clinton had 2 players scoring 8 points each and they were Nike Davis and Shakiyl Smiley.. RJ Robinson and Lavardick Glenn added 7 points each while Tay Cook had 6 and Jacob Adams 2.. Laurens is now 3-1 on the season and Clinton is 1-1… The Clinton varsity teams will be back in action Thursday night as they Greenwood with girls’ action starting at 6:00 pm while the Laurens teams will be back in action Friday night as they Travel to Union County with girls game scheduled for a 6:00 pm tipoff also.
Now I have one other basketball score form last night and a partial score,,, Laurens Academy’s middle school basketball teams traveled to Greenwood yesterday to take on Cambridge Academy and the Lady Crusaders fell to Cambridge 12-28.. In the boys’ game, the last score I could find was that the Crusader led 23-13 at the end of the 3rd period but I did not get a final on that.
I’ll have some Laurens wrestling results tomorrow… Check back then
Local Sports Schedule:
- Wrestling @ Dorman 5:00
- Women’s basketball host Charleston Southern 7:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.