Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-29-12
The only local high sports last night was wrestling action from Laurens High but before I get to that I’ll catch up on wrestling action from Tuesday night.. On Tuesday, Laurens traveled to Byrnes to participate in a 3 team match with Byrnes and Greer.. Laurens defeated Greer 48-27 but lost to Byrnes 36-47.. Ben Pemberton, Trevor Comer, Austin Crocker and Daniel Cooper all picked up wins in both matches.. Yesterday the Raiders traveled to Dorman for a match and came up on the short end of the score as the Cavaliers took a 63-15 win.. Juan Barcenas, Ryan Hughes and Austin Crocker picked up wins for the Raiders… The Raiders have a 1-2 record on the year and will be in action this Saturday as they host the Laurens Raider Rumble starting at 8:00am in the main gym… Click on the following link to get a detailed report on all 3 of these matches: LDHS Wrestling Detail Resultsfor 2012-2013
- Clemson QB Tajh Boyd was named the ACC overall Player of the Year yesterday.. Boyd is the 7th Clemson player to receive such an award with the last being C.J. Spiller in 2009
- Boyd and center Dalton Freeman were also named to first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association. Both players are the first to make a first-team All-America team at their position in Clemson history.
- Clemson basketball player Milton Jennings has been suspended for a violation of team rules.. News reports say he was arrested on a charge of marijuana possession yesterday.. Jennings is the Tigers’ leading scorer, averaging 10.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game….It’s Jennings’ third suspension in 13 months. He was suspended for a game after an on-court altercation with Brownell during a Christmas tournament in Hawaii. He missed several games in February for what the school said was an “academic suspension.
- The Clemson men’s basketball team lost to Purdue 61-73 last night
- USC defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was also named the first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.
- Reports are that Gamecock football player Bruce Ellington will resume playing guard for the basketball team immediately… He will do so until the Gamecocks start practice for their upcoming bowl..
- Speculation is that the 10-2 Gamecock football team will be heading to Florida for a New Year’s Day bowl game.. The Gator Bowl and Outback Bowl are both being heavily mentioned.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: The middle school basketball season kicks off this afternoon with the girls games starting at 5:00 and the boys games immediately following very soon after 6:00.. The schedule for today is:
- Hickory Tavern @ Sanders
- Bell Street Red @ Laurens
- Gray Court @ Belton
- Honea Path @ Bell Street White – note all Bell Street home games are played at the old CHS.
High School Basketball:
- Greenwood @ CHS 6:00 / 7:30
- Union County @ Laurens 6:00 / 7:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the final time on Thursday, Nov. 29th at Lakeside Country Club. The club will be honoring the Laurens County All-Star Team as well as the Laurens County Player of the Year. The featured speaker will be Coach David Bennett current athletic director at Socastee High School and former head football coach at Coastal Carolina. The meeting will start at 6;00 pm and it’s not too late to join us.. Contact Marlene Owings at 864-833-2716 or by email: email@example.com. ..
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.