Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 11-30-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by PC Athletics… The PC women’s basketball team will be on the road to this weekend participating in the Eastern Kentucky Comfort Suite Classic in Richmond, Ky… They start action tonight at 7 against the Lady Colonels and will play again tomorrow at 2 against an opponent to be determined… The men’s team is off until Sunday when they travel to Greenville to take on Furman in a 3:00 pm contest… It’s not that far up there; follow the Blue Hose up if you can.
Middle School Basketball: The middle school basketball teams kicked off their season last night and here are the scores and details that I have at this time:
- Girls: Sanders 44 – Hickory Tavern 14… Leading scorers for Sanders: Malaysia Todd 10, KeNyJa Spurgeon 6, Kali Heisey 6 and Tanesha Pinson 4… Leading scorer for HT was Tathan Abby with 4.
- Boys: Sanders 38 – Hickory Tavern 8… Sanders scoring: Ty Foster 12, Austin Cornelius 6, Justin Anderson 4 and Jay Kennedy 4… Jay Jones led HT scoring with 6
- Girls: Laurens 31 – Bell Street Red 22.. Leading scorers for Laurens: Tymenshia Garlington 9, Morgan Wilson 9 and KeKe Watts 8.. No scoring available for BSW
- Boys: Laurens 47 – Bell Street Red 39… Laurens win the battle of the rebound in this game getting numerous offensive and defensive rebound.. Laurens led 17-3 at end of 1st period… Coach Josh Bridges of BSR commented that Laurens heath was a big impact in the game but was proud of the way his team came back to make it close.. Leading Laurens scoring & rebounds; Jayln Walker 22-15, Tivar Hill 8-23 and DQ Floyd 9-4 and 11 assist….. BSR scoring: Kiah Young 14, Tymori Tribble 12, Robert Powell 5, JJ Richardson 3 and Charlie Craven and Zay Hurley both had 2.
- Girls: Honea Path 13 – Bell Street White 11… Katie Roland had 5 points for BSW.
- Sorry but do not have other HP- BSW boys or the games between Gray Court-Owens and Belton..
High School Basketball:
- Girls: Greenwood 53 – CHS 34… The Lady Devils only trailed by 6 at the half and cut it to 3 early in the 3rd period but had trouble handling Greenwood’s press down the stretch allowing Greenwood to pull away on turnovers… Leading scores for Clinton were Trevoria Dendy and Indya Kinard who both had 8 points,, Ellie Tallman and Gaby Bates both had 7 points each.
- Boys: Greenwood 54 – Clinton 53.. The Red Devils trailed by 9 going into the final period and managed to cut lead and tie the ball game with less than a minute to play.. after Greenwood scored to back on top, Clinton made 1 of 2 free throws but rebounded the miss and put up a 3-pointer for the win that rimmed out.. Leading the scoring for Clinton were: Shakiyl Smiley with 13 points, Lavardick Glenn 12 and R.J. Richardson with 11… Now for a more detailed account of both the CHS games tonight, see the postings at www.chsathletics.com.
- JV Girls: Laurens 42 – Union County 9 … Laurens had 4 players with 8 points: Jessica Johnson, Keandra Griffin, Tayja Coleman & Bre Nance
- JV Boys: Laurens 52 – Union County 11… Leading scorers for LDHS: Maliek Donald 8, Kiante Boyd 8, Allen Johnson 7, Keazario Whitmore 7, LaJune Jones 7, Nick Harvey 5, & Kion Ligon 4
High School Football:
- The Laurens County Touchdown Club held their Annual Awards Banquet at Lakeside Country Club on Friday night. At the beginning of the meeting the Laurens County Touchdown Club All County Team was announced…. Later in the meeting, the Laurens County Coach of the Year and the Laurens County Player of the Year were both announced. Coach Greg Lawson of LDHS was named Coach of the Year and running back Roderick Talley of LDHS was named Player of the Year… Before next Monday I will have a separate posting at wlbg.com in the Between the Lines section that will have photos and video shot at the banquet.. Click on the following link to see a complete list of who made the all County team and more details on the meeting: Laurens County Touchdown Club Hands Out Annual Football Awards
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball at Union County 6:00 / 7:30
- Saturday: Wrestling host Laurens Raider Rumble 8:00 am
- Middle School basketball host Greenwood Christian 4:00 / 5:00
- Varsity basketball host Greenwood Christian 6:00 / 7:30
FYI / Community Interest:
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation has announced youth basketball registration dates. The City league will begin registration November 10 and end on December 2. Participants can register daily at the Little River Park from 1-6pm weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 1-6 on Sundays. Cost to participate is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. Age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 big league. A child’s league age is determined on what age they were on August 31, 2012. So a child who turned 13 on September 1 would be eligible to participate this year. Skills evaluations and practices will begin before the Christmas break. For more information please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com.
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.