Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-03-12
- Girls: Union County 47 – Laurens 40… The Laurens Raiders traveled to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets in varsity basketball action.. The Lady Raiders came up on the short end of a 47-40 score to the Lady Jackets.. Fouls and turnovers plagued the Raiders throughout the game.. Mary Anna Moore had 14 points for the Raiders and Maleaka Neal had 10.
- Boys: Laurens 71 – Union 34… The news was better in boys action as the Raiders took a 71-34 win over the Yellow Jackets.. Laurens took advantage of several Union basketball players being on the football team and took the lead from the start and led wire to wire.. Coach Mark Freeze was able to use all his players giving the younger players game experience.. The Raiders led 39-24 at the half and held Union to just 10 points in the 2nd half.. Laurens had 4 players scoring in double-digits.. They were Chrishawn Gust – 16, Davon Boyce 13 and both Tevin Barksdale and Quinton Billups both had 10 points.. For more details on both these games go to www.ldhssports.com… The Raiders will travel to Easley tomorrow night to open up region play.
- Girls: Greenwood Christian 35 – Laurens Academy 16… The Lady Crusaders got behind early and could not make up the deficit.. Kaitlin Moore had 7 point to lead L.A. in scoring
- Boys: Laurens Academy 58 – Greenwood Christian 25.. The Crusaders never trailed in this game..
High School Football Championship games: Class AAA, AAA & AAAA had their finals this weekend. The results were:
- AA Div. II: Bishop England 21 – Abbeville 0
- AAA: Hartsville 62 – Union County 27
- AAAA Div. II: Greenwood 31 – Northwestern 24, Greenwood won in overtime to cap a perfect 15-0
- AAAA Div. I: Gaffney 34 – Dutch Fork 22.
The CHS Athletic Booster Club meeting on Dec. 3 starting at 6:00 PM at Clinton High School
Scores from over the weekend:
- Alabama 32 – Georgia 28.. Alabama came back and held on to win the SEC Championship. Alabama will now face Notre dame in the BCS Championship game on January 7th.
- Florida St. 21 – Georgia Tech 15: Florida St. never trailed in this game and won the ACC (All Cup Cake) Conference Championship.
- Wofford 23 – New Hampshire 7… Wofford will play #1 North Dakota State next Saturday at 3 pm in Fargo, ND
- #14 Clemson is headed to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl in Atlanta and will take on 8 LSU on Dec. 31st with the kickoff scheduled for 7:30 and will be on ESPN
- #10 South Carolina will be in the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fl. on 1-1-13 and will play 18 Michigan with the kickoff shortly after 1:00 … It can be seen on ESPN
- Check back tomorrow for the final BCS rankings and a list of bowl games.
Local Sports Schedule:
Middle School Basketball: all games start at 5:00, Bell Street home games are at old Clinton High School gym
- Sanders at Bell Street Red
- Hickory Tavern at Belton
- Laurens at Honea Path
- Bell Street White at Gray Court
- WLBG will kick off its broadcast schedule of middle school basketball this week as well will broadcast the Bell Street White team travels to Hickory Tavern to take on the Panthers in action that starts at 5 PM… We will go live just a few minutes before 5 and remember that we stream live at WLBG.com.
- Also this week we will start our broadcast of varsity basketball from Laurens High School… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM as we bring you round two of the Clinton-Laurens rivalry from the main gym at Laurens High School… Again remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.