Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 13-4-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Things are somewhat quiet right now as the sports schedule is quiet as PC is in the fall exam period right now… However if you have any questions at all about PC athletics, check out the official PC Athletic website GoBlueHose.com to find schedules for the spring sports, which sports are signing high school athletes to play at PC, award for teams or individuals and just about anything related to PC Athletics.
Middle school Basketball:
- Girls: Bell Street White 17 Gray Court-Owens 13… The Lady Tigers started strong taking a 7-4 lead over the visiting Lady Wildcats at the end of the first period of play but could not hold the lead as Bell Street White took a 17-13 win in girls middle school action at Gray Court on Monday night. By the half, BSW had tied the game at 11 all and then held GCO scoreless in the third period to take the win…..After the game BSW Coach John Gardner said he was proud of the way the girls stepped up and played better defense starting in the second period. Meanwhile GCO Coach Lathan Pooser lamented that for the second game in a row his team started strong buy could not maintain the momentum….For the Lady Wildcats, Manet Boyd led her team with 5 points while Alexis Jones and Sydney Fisher both had 4 points each. Scoring 2 points each were Karen Richardson, Jazz Curenton and Katie Roland. The Lady Wildcats are now 1-1 on the season…..Gray Court’s MaKayla Childs led all scorers with 7 points and Elexius Jones had the remaining 6 points for the Tigers. The Lady Tigers are 0-2 on the young season.
- Boys: Bell Street White 47 – Gray Court-Owens 34… In boys’ action, the visiting Wildcats took a 47-34 win over the Tigers. The Wildcats led 11-8 at the end of the first period but the Tigers came back to take a 23-8 lead at the half behind Brandon Oberdier’s 8 points in the period. The lead vanished in the third period as the Wildcats outscored the Tigers 17-5 to take a 35-28 lead going into the final period which they never lost….BSW Coach Josh Hallman said he was proud of the way his team came back in the second half and especially the way they turned up the pressure on GCO. GCO Coach Jerry Poole agreed that the defensive pressure did force them into turnovers in the second half but also that BSW was able to get the ball inside more and rebounded better than in the second half compared to the first half…. Ta’shymen Boyd led the Wildcat scoring with 16 points 12 of which were in the second half. Donte Reeder had 12 points, Jalen Carter had 11, KoKo Richey had 5, Dawson Green 2 and Shimeek Gaskins 1. The Wildcats are now 2-0 on the season….. The Tigers were led by Oberdier who had a game high 17 points while teammate Brendin Gallamore had 11. Ja’Myas Rhodes, Josh Greene and Jacob Thompson each had 2 points. The Tigers are now 1-1 on the season
- Girls: Sanders 34 – Bell Street Red 14.. Sorry but no details provided by coaches for this game.
- Boys: Bell Street Red 28 – Sanders 24… Sanders had a 15-12 lead at the half and maintained it for most of the game until BSW took the lead late in the 4th period clutch free throw shooting by Tymori Tribble and Kiah Young.. According to BSR Coach Josh Bridges it was a defensive battle most of the night and neither team shot very well… Tribble wound up with 13 points to lead the Wildcats.. Young added 5 points while Ty Priestly added 4, JJ Richardson 3, Zay Hurley 2 and Robert Powell 1… Sorry but I could not get any scoring details from Sanders.
- Girls: Honea Path 29 – Laurens 10… According to Laurens Coach Chris Johnston the girls could not get the offense in gear all night long and Honea Path scored on defensive rebounds and quick outlet passes down the court which more likely than not resulted in easy baskets… Tymeshia Garlinton led the Lady Tigers with 4 points while Isasha Jones, KeKe Watts and Destiny Moses each had 2 points.
- Boys: Laurens 45 – Honea Path 29.. According to Laurens Coach Kevin Gaines, the Tigers were never really challenged as they jumped out to a 19-4 lead at the end of the 1st period in route to a 45-29 win.. It was a game where he was able to play everyone on the bench.. Brayln McBeth led the Tigers with 19 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assist. Jayln Walker was the only other Tiger in double-digits with 10 points.. DQ Floyd had 6 points and Tivar Hill had 4 points but also had 7 rebounds and 5 blocked shots.
- Girls: Belton 25 – Hickory Tavern 7… No scoring details but I understand that Abby Tatham played well in her 1st start for the lady Panthers.
- Boys: Belton 37 – Hickory Tavern 29… Jason Johnson led the Panthers with 18 points.
High School Football
- LDHS had their annual football award banquet last night and I’ll try to have more details on it tomorrow… However I can tell you that the following players made the All-Region I AAAA team: Roderick Talley, Quinn Suber, Desmond Beasley-Jones, Casey Downs, Khalid Taylor, Tevin Barksdale and DreTribble… Congratulations to these players!
Click on the following link for a complete list of all major college bowl games – way too many: 2012-13 College Bowl Schedule
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball teams host Blue Ridge 6:00 / 7:30
- 9th grade boys, JV girls & JV boys basketball teams host Easley 5:15 / 6:00 / 7:00
- Varsity basketball at Easley 6:00 / 6:30
- All basketball teams at Richard Winn
- WLBG will kick off its broadcast schedule of middle school basketball this week as well will broadcast the Bell Street White team travels to Hickory Tavern to take on the Panthers in action that starts at 5 PM… We will go live just a few minutes before 5 and remember that we stream live at WLBG.com.
- Also this week we will start our broadcast of varsity basketball from Laurens High School… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM as we bring you round two of the Clinton-Laurens rivalry from the main gym at Laurens High School… Again remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.