Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-5-12
High School Basketball:
- Girls: Blue Ridge 61 – Clinton 42… The Red Devils hosted the Blue Ridge Tigers in varsity basketball action last night… The Lady Devils were hoping to avenge an earlier loss to the Lady Tigers.. However it was not to be as Blue Ridge took a 61-42 win… Ellie Tallman had 16 points to lead the Lady Devils and Indya Kinard added 14..
- Boys: Blue Ridge 52 – Clinton 50.. After some recent loses, the boys team hoped to get back on the winning track and take another win from the Tigers.. However Blue Ridge has other ideas and avenged their earlier loss taking a 52-50 victory over the Red Devils… Clinton had a chance to tie the game as the clock wound down but the shot rimmed off the iron.. RJ Robinson had 20 points in the losing effort.. Lavardick Glenn added 9 and Shakiyl Smiley added 8 points.. For more details go to www.chsathletics.com .. Clinton travels to Greenwood on Thursday night.
- Girls: Laurens 37 – Easley 27… The Laurens Raiders were on the road for their first region contest up at Easley last night.. In girls’ action, the Lady Raiders took a 37-27 victory over the Lady Green Wave… The Lady Raider trailed 17-18 at the half but outscored Easley in the 3rd period to take a 28-22 lead going into the final period… Coach Travis Langford said it was a good win for the team and a great way to start off region play… Shaniqua Brown led the Lady Riders with 8 points… Others scoring for Laurens were; Maleaka Neal – 7, Mary Anna Moore – 7, Shekiya Burnside – 5, Nasia Owens – 4, Kayla Gary – 3, Ana Parek – 2 and Amber Anderson – 1.
- Boys: Laurens 69 – Easley 61… In 2nd game of the night at Easley, Laurens was again victorious as they picked up a 69-61 win over the Green Wave.. Laurens jumped out to a 14-11 lead at the end of the 1st period and went on to win every period except the last when Easley did manage to outscore the Raiders by 3 but that was not enough… Coach Mark Freeze commented that it was good win for the team and the team played with poise and controlled the tempo of the game… He went on to add that he had a lot of players who performed well.. Chrishawn Guest led the Raiders with 21 points.. Two other Raiders scored in double-digits; Davon Boyce with 13 and Tyrez Young with 11.. Others scoring for Laurens were; Dra Cunningham -8, Tevin Barksdale – 6, Quin Suber – 5, Quinton Billups – 3 and Michael Boyce – 2.. Laurens will host Clinton on Friday night in varsity action..
- Girls: Richard Winn 67 – Laurens Academy 11
- Boys: Laurens Academy 68 – Richard Winn 46
Middle School Basketball:
- Girls: Richard Winn 23 – Laurens Academy 12
- Boys: Laurens Academy 34 – Richard Winn 28
- Laurens 40 – Easley 33… LaJune Jones had 11 points while Allen Johnson had 8 and Jordan Sergeant 7 to lead the Raiders.
Local Sports Schedule:
Wrestling at BHP 5:30
- WLBG will kick off its broadcast schedule of middle school basketball this week as well will broadcast the Bell Street White team travels to Hickory Tavern to take on the Panthers in action that starts at 5 PM… We will go live just a few minutes before 5 and remember that we stream live at WLBG.com.
- Also this week we will start our broadcast of varsity basketball from Laurens High School… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM as we bring you round two of the Clinton-Laurens rivalry from the main gym at Laurens High School… Again remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The City of Laurens Youth Basketball has extended the deadline to register until Sunday, December 9. The age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 Big League. August 31 is used as the cutoff for ages. If a child turned 13 on September 1st, they would be eligible to participate. The cost is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. To register please visit the Little River Park in Laurens daily before 6pm. For questions please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.