Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 12-7-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well the exams are about over at PC and some of the sports will crank back up this weekend.. The men’s’ basketball team will be on the road to Furman this Sunday and tipoff is scheduled for 3pm… Follow the Blue Hose up to Greenville Sunday if you get the chance.
Middle School Basketball:
- Girls: BSW 15 – HT 14… The Bell Street White basketball teams traveled to Hickory Tavern last night and the Lady Wildcats took a 15-14 win.. Sydney Fisher had 7 points and Kalen Richardson had 6 to lead the Wildcat Scoring.. Mattie Cantrell had 7 to lead the Lady Panthers
- Boys: BSW 38 – HT 20… In the boys game, the visitors held the home team scoreless in the 1st period and then went on to take a 38-10 victory.. The Wildcats controlled the tempo of the game and their speed and height were just too much for the Panthers on this night.. The leading scorers for the Wildcats were Tay Boyd with 8 and Jalen Carter with 7. For the Panthers, Jason Johnson had 8 and Nathan Revis had 6 to lead their scoring.
- Girls: BSR 32 – HP 26… Meanwhile over at the old Clinton High School, the Bell Street Red teams hosted Honea Path… In the1st game, the Lady Wildcats took a 32-26 win over the visitors… Asia Cunningham led BS with 10 points while MK Kelley scored 6 & Olivia Hamrick 4.
- Boys: BSR 52 – HP 35… The BSR boys completed the sweep with a 52-35 win over a good Honea Path team.… To quote Coach Josh Bridges “Tymori Tribble went wild” with 30 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assist.. The 1st half was a pretty even match as the Wildcats were only up by 3 at the half.. Honea Path had trouble with BS press in the 2nd half and the turnovers it caused led to points more often than not… In addition to Tribbles’ 30, Charlie Craven had 7, Robert Powell 4, Ty Priestle 3, Kiah Young 3, both JJ Richardson and Zay Hurley had 2 each while Brooks Threatt added 1
- Girls: LMS 16-GCO 15 in OT… Laurens Middle School hosted Gray Court-Owens in a battle of the Tigers and in the girls game it was LMS taking a 16-15 win in overtime… By some reports, it wasn’t the prettiest game you will ever see but Lexis Freeman scored the only 2 points of overtime while GCO managed just one to take the win.. Tiesha Jones had 5 to lead LMS in scoring while Tymeshia Garlinton had 4 and KeKe Watts 3… For GCO their leading scores were Elexius Jones with 6 and Synprsha Long with 4.
- Boys: LMS 59 – GCO 34… In a night of sweeps, the LMS boys defeated the GCO boys 59-34.. LMS used a press that GC could just not handle well and were able to use the entire bench as the Laurens starters played mostly just the 1st and 3rd periods. For the winners, Brayln McBeth had 13 points, DQ Floyd 10 and Jaylen Walker 9 who went 3 for 4 on 3-points shots.. Keenan Dickey was noted by Coach Kevin Gains for his play coming off the bench and scoring 7 points… For GCO, Brendin Gallamore led the way with 14 points while Ja’Myas Rhodes had 6
- Girls: Sanders 41 – Belton 16.. Sorry, no details available.
- Boys: Sanders 53 – Belton 40.. Sorry, no details available
High School Basketball:
- Boys: CHS 70 – Greenwood 68… Tay Cook’s shot as time ran out gave the Red Devils a 70-68 win in boys action over Greenwood down in Greenwood last night… Greenwood used 3-point shots to go up 39-33 at the half… at the half, Coach Todd Frazier told his team that Greenwood had thrown their best shot at them in the 1st half with a high shooting percentage and the 3-pointers and they should go out and step their defense up a bit and they could take the win… They responded and they did take the win.. Cook finished the game with 20 points and RJ Robinson had 18 to lead the Red Devils in scoring.
- Girls: Greenwood 57 – CHS 40… The news was not quite as good for the Lady Red Devils in the 1st game of the evening as the Lady Eagles of Greenwood took a 57-40 win… Clinton kept it to within 3 points until about 3 minutes left in the 1st half but Greenwood pulled away to take a double-digit lead at the half.. The Lady Devils played better in the 2nd half but just could not gain ground on the tough 4-A opponent.. KT Speaks and Indya Kinard both had 10 points to lead the Clinton in scoring.
Check back on Monday and I’ll have some wrestling results and JV basketball results that I just don’t have to give you right now.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity basketball at Laurens 6:00 / 7:30
- Varsity basketball host Clinton 6:00 / 7:30
- Wrestling @ Powdersville 5:30
- Saturday: wrestling @ Hillcrest 8:00am
- All basketball teams host WW King starting at 4:00
- Tonight we will start our broadcast of varsity basketball from Laurens High School… Join Dr. Rhett Harris and myself a few minutes before 6 PM as we bring you round two of the Clinton-Laurens rivalry from the main gym at Laurens High School… Again remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The City of Laurens Youth Basketball has extended the deadline to register until Sunday, December 9. The age divisions are 6-8 beginner, 8-10 Rookie and 11-12 Big League. August 31 is used as the cutoff for ages. If a child turned 13 on September 1st, they would be eligible to participate. The cost is only $25 and includes a jersey and a league trophy. To register please visit the Little River Park in Laurens daily before 6pm. For questions please call 681-7275 or email Laurensprd@yahoo.com
- The Laurens YMCA has announced that registration for the youth basketball season will begin November 18 and will run through December 16. We also have a late registration period that will end on December 19. It is open to youth ages 3-14. Basketball season will officially start with practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning January 8. Cost is $50 for Y members and $60 for non-members. Call the Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 for more information including the possibility of scholarships for those who qualify.
- The Clinton YMCA has started registration for youth basketball and cheerleading. Basketball is open to youth ages 5-12. Cheerleading is open to those in grades K5-6th. The deadline for registration for both is December 13. The cost is $40 for Y members and $55 for non-members. For more information call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555. Financial assistance is available.
- 13th Annual Reindeer Run : The Laurens Family YMCA will be hosting its 13th Annual Reindeer Run 5K Saturday, December 8th at 9:00am in downtown Laurens, SC. Palmetto Bone & Joint PA is the Title Sponsor. Register before December 1st for $25 and a guaranteed commemorative shirt. Late registration begins December 1st for $30 and no t-shirt guarantee. The Kids 1-mile fun run, sponsored by McDonalds, will begin at 9:05am. Registration for the fun run costs $15 and all participants will be awarded a ribbon. Get in the holiday spirit and wear your best “Reindeer Run” attire and win prizes for best individual costume and best team costume. All proceeds will benefit the YMCA Youth/Family Scholarship Fund. For more information call 984-2621. Register online at: www.active.com.
- There will be a Raider Basketball Kid’s Camp December 27th & 28th at the Laurens High Gym. The camp will be teaching many fundamental basketball skills. We will be giving out individual prizes for Hot Shot, Knockout and Speed Dribbling Champions. We will also have guest speakers each day. This camp will be a great opportunity for young players to work on their basketball skills. Each camper will receive a camp T-shirt. The camp hours will be 9am – noon and is open to youth 5-13.. The cost is $30 if you register by Friday December 21st and $35 after that date. Discounts are available for siblings. Contact Coach Rico Salliewhite at 864-923-6902 or email him at email@example.com for more details or to register.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.